Artifacting Issues

Okedokey

Yes however overclocking the CPU overclocks the northbridge so to suggest they're not linked is incorrect.

plutoniumman

Yes however overclocking the CPU overclocks the northbridge so to suggest they're not linked is incorrect.

Overclocking the CPU via the FSB, OCs the NB too (and everything else). Increasing the multiplier on the CPU (which is what OP said he did) OCs only the CPU.

jonnyp11

Ran crysis no problem and no artifacts, then run shift again and from the beginning of the first rave i do it's the same artifacts, exactly the same ones, and the tmpin2 or whatever hadn't even hit 40, after i exited crysis it hit 54, wtf? this is really annoying.

Okedokey

Johnny you have to confirm what you have done, not just the symptoms. Otherwise we will run around in circles.

Tell us exactly the state of your computer, windows updates, drivers updates, overclocking etc etc. Also make sure the games are patched.

jonnyp11

everything is up to date, there is no overclock at all, everything is at stock/auto. The only options right now seem to be windows 8 compatibility for the drivers or a faulty mobo, but since it works fine is crysis and hot pursuit, i'm thinking it's just something with the os, and crysis and hot pursuit might be programmed in a way that works correctly.

And my NB is still very hot, yesterday after running crysis for a while (flawlessly at 30+ fps i might add (except 2 parts with a ton of particle effects)) it had hit 58C

And going by cpu-z, my bus speed is really weird, keeps dropping/shifting ever sec or 2, normally stays around 2.8-3ghz, but showed really low like 1.7/1.8ghz once or twice, guess i'll see if i can lock it next time i boot, take it off auto if it's on it, but i don't think it is on auto.

Last edited:

Okedokey

It may be downclocking due to heat, but 58 isn't excessive. On older boards I always put a 40mm fan on the northbridge and attach it with some thermal double sided tape.

jonnyp11

Went through and uninstalled the graphics and rolled back and re-updated and problem solved, not like i did that 2/3 times already but it's finally solved.

wolfeking

banned
okay, try this. Load a small copy of Linux, install the properotary drivers and play on linux, and try your game there. That will say if it is windows 8 or your chip.

jonnyp11

most of my games don't run on linux, wine doesn't have them and they don't work right i don't think when i run them through steam

wolfeking

banned
well thats the only way i can think of to test if another OS will fix it unless you can get a copy of 7 vista or XP to test it.

jonnyp11

Rolled back the drivers and didn't update andd now after rebooting it's still working, idk why but it's gotta have something to do with the driver update, and that's the second or third time i've downloaded the update and tried it so it's not that, it's just something about the file itself.

New problem, Shift, Nimbus, and who know what other games won't launch and/or freeze when loading maps.

Re-installing nimbus seems to have fixed that, will try it with shift later

Last edited: