asking for some building pc guidance

sabejero17

hello,
i'm looking to build my own gaming pc. i've researched around and looked up many different sites on the components to a pc. not looking for the best of the best gaming computer, but manageable for pc games and that i could upgrade later. for now i've come to build off of an intel i3 2100 dual core processor and an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 from newegg. i need some help figuring out an appropriate gpu and hdd. i'm also gonna run 8gigs of ram. my budget is around 350 for the gpu and hard drive.

here are the links to the processor and mobo
processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078
mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

any advice would be appreciated :)

claptonman

$90 is the least you can spend on a 500GB drive right now, due to flooding in thailand. If you have a spare one around, that would be much better.

That being said, that'll leave you with $260 for a GPU. Your options are the Nvidia 560ti or AMD 6950. 560tis run cooler, has physx, and better driver support, while the 6950 is a little faster. What resolution are you planning on playing at?

sabejero17

if i can run games at ultra, i would. if i could save money on a graphics card, i would as well. do you think downgrading a bit to a GeForce GTS 250 would be fine and using the difference of the money compared to the ones you offered for other parts of the computer? would you also recommend an aftermarket cooling fan or will the stock fan for the processor be ok?

Gary1

You can save some money on MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770.

I understand your not wanting an outrageously fast computer. I know a few big gamers running the AMD versions of this chipset. I am just assuming the ATI label is just because AMD name has moved on the the 6xxx and 7xxxx GPU. Just an assumption. here is a review.

If you plan on OC get a new heat sink, but if you plan on keeping stock speeds stay with what you get with CPU.

Last edited:

claptonman

I would stretch the budget to a 450:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125397

Has DX11, which is the most current version. But be aware that the video card is what games use the most, so you will be limited by your GPU if you go with a 450.

And the stock cooler is fine. Would have to overclock the i3 from the north bridge, so it doesn't overclock as well. If you upgrade to a i5 2500k ever, and want to overclock, then an aftermarket cooler would be needed.

Gary1

You can download DX11 Incase you don't want either.

For what you want the i3 is fine. You don't need to buy anything with a K on it, in case you didn't know the k is unlocked multiplier making it easier to Over clock.

wolfeking

banned
gary, your a severely uneducated person.

DX11, while can be downloaded, will not run on a card that does not support it. Think of it like this. You can play a colour VHS on a Black and White TV all day long, but your only ever going to see shades of grey. The same goes for DX11. You can download it all day, but if you have a DX10 card, like all nvidia before the 400 line, and all ATI before the 5000 series, it will not install or be usable.

Gary1

I am not suggesting to download it on a card I said unless he didn't want either. Or in other words he decides to get a MOBO that did not require him to have to have a GPU. I see you have a bit of a education problem yourself.

I have not seen where anyone said to buy a card without DX11 so where are you coming from???

Last edited:

claptonman

I am not suggesting to download it on a card I said unless he didn't want either. Or in other words he decides to get a MOBO that did not require him to have to have a GPU. I see you have a bit of a education problem yourself.

I have not seen where anyone said to buy a card without DX11 so where are you coming from???

The OP was asking if a GTS 250 would be fine, and it wouldn't have DX11, so it would be a waste of money since the 450 is only $20 more and a heck of a lot faster, and has DX11.

And Wolfe was right. You said:

"You can download DX11 Incase you don't want either."

What does that mean? You can't download DX11 on onboard graphics. And since the OP wants a computer that can play games, he has to get a GPU to play any current games at any respectful level of detail.

Gary1

Sorry I don't know anything about NVIDA my last NVIDA card was the 8900 GT ( except they were running hotter than AMD a year ago, and Eyefinity was cool enough to get away from NVIDA.)
I also made the assumption with 2 choices at $99 and $109 that you really wouldn't want cheaper GPU and also we were past the whole GTS 250 thing as I did offer a GPU that was proper. Even posted review of it.
Sometimes maybe I should not assume anything.

Gary1

Just so we are clear on this what Can you download DX11 on? As I have downloaded it onto a Toshiba 775 chipset laptop. It had only onboard chipset. And it had some serious lag on it. BUT with all this said.. we all want things but wanting doesn't get the bills paid.

SuperDuperMe

If i remember correctly your just installing the ?SDK? (i think thats what its called) which is essentially the software. You dont have the hardware to run it. You can have the software but without the hardware you may as well be running dx 1,000,000. Nothing is going to change.

You can literally download dx11 on any modern pc as far as im aware, i had it when i had my 3870x2 which is a dx 10.1 card. I couldnt use dx11due to hardware limitations but it was there. It didnt make a difference what so ever.

claptonman

The video card has to be DX11 compatible. That's what makes the difference. If you look on newegg under details, it shows what version of DX it can run.

Gary1

Now we have successfully pulled ourselves off subject I still say the MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 is the way to go.
I had no intentions of Highjacking this thread.

claptonman

The 5770 is a good choice for that price range, actually. A little better than my 450 I chose. I didn't know they were that cheap.

wjames811

Hi, Build my own gaming pc, I have researched around and looked up many different sites on the components to a pc. Build a Best gaming computer and that i could upgrade later.Now i have come to build an intel i5 processor, with 360GB hard disk and 3GB RAM