ASRock vs Gigabyte vs ASUS

Renzore101

Hello folks,

So I just left Microcenter last weekend feeling a little skeptical about my build including an ASRock mobo. The nice gentleman working commission essentially had nothing good to say about ASRock. He suggested Gigabyte or ASUS over ASRock any day. My question is, would it be in my best interest to swap this ASRock mobo with a Gigabyte or ASUS? Opinions welcome.

ninjabubbles3

I have only ever used Gigabyte and ASUS, and both their boards work exactly as advertised.

It honestly comes down to which board it is. An ASRock Z97 Pro6 will be more reliable than some crappy H81 Gigabyte board.

If they are the same price and chipset though, I would always go for the Gigabyte, then the ASUS, then the MSI, then ASRock

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with ASRock. I've built machines with their boards in the past and had no issues. They're just as good as Gigabyte and ASUS.

beers

Staff member
I've had some decent ASRock boards before. Some people just have one bad experience and apply it to the entirety of their product line.

There are some flaky boards for every manufacturer.

Renzore101

There's nothing wrong with ASRock. I've built machines with their boards in the past and had no issues. They're just as good as Gigabyte and ASUS.

I've had some decent ASRock boards before. Some people just have one bad experience and apply it to the entirety of their product line.

There are some flaky boards for every manufacturer.

I trust your experience, I question the integrity of the gentleman at Microcenter, as he is no different than a car salesman. It is his job to upsell, so of course the more expensive brand will be better.

beers

Staff member
A lot of people that work in retail tech type of jobs usually aren't particularly knowledgeable about tech, ironically. I get pretty constant screw ups from our local MC, they seem to be pretty equivalent of what you'd sadly expect from Geek Squad or something.

Renzore101

A lot of people that work in retail tech type of jobs usually aren't particularly knowledgeable about tech, ironically. I get pretty constant screw ups from our local MC, they seem to be pretty equivalent of what you'd sadly expect from Geek Squad or something.

That's the vibe I got from the guy in retrospect. I was planning on walking into the store with my friend over the weekend and making the purchases. It however did not go that way, they are like hawks circling a dead carcass. Moving forward perhaps I will order more off newegg, or tell them to go away.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ASRock has a history. Asus stated ASRock as a motherboard OEM manufacture. They just made low end boards for OEMs and started selling the same for retail. They got a reputation for being cheap boards. Asus split up into 3 different companies. Asus/Pegatron and Unihan. Later Pegatron bought Unihan, after that they bought ASRock from Asus. Asrock has been independent from Asus since then. Pegatron has more or less let ARock get into guality mid and upper end boards since. They can make a good motherboard. In the same range board I would take a Gigabyte or Asus over a ASRock. But they will sell the same range board cheaper then Gigabyte and Asus. So if your looking for a deal you can get a ASRock slightly cheaper then either Gigabyte or Asus.

Cisco001

I usually get Asrock or Gigabyte, depends on what machine I am building.
Asrock usually good value.

I have heard issues with Asus warranty.

linkin

VIP Member
Never had an issue with my ASRock boards. AMD and Intel boards have been great. The difference between ASRock's high end board prices, compared to Asus or Gigabyte is quite large. My 990FX Fatal1ty and my Z77 Fatal1ty Pro boards were/are great. No issues and they overclock like champs.

Stay away from any cheap/low end motherboard. Buy a decent/flagship chipset.

Renzore101

Thanks for all the input guys, I am planning on retiring the current ASRock mobo for a new one with SLI capabilities, and I am sticking with ASRock. Commission MC representative can piss off! :D

@linkin
I like the Fatal1ty boards, I may get one myself.