Assembling my first computer i need help guys!!!

Japjeev

Okay so i am assembling my computer for the first time i am 14. well here are the questions i have can you please answer them? thanks

1. i haven't bought a electric static wrist band. So how and where should i assemble where i cant fry my parts...

2. Is it hard to plug in Case Led lights,USb cable,power button and Audio cable? can you link me to a guide where it explains how to do this?

3. Cable management how will i know where to put what cable (Ex Sata Cables.IDE Cables, Graphic card power ETC) where will i know where to plug those? any guide on this too?

4. If i want to put more fans then where should i put those?

those are my questions so far?
And anyone guide on how to build a computer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks can someone answer these

StrangleHold

Staff member
1. Just touch the case before you start to discharge yourself, dont rub your feet around on carpet.

2. The motherboard manual will have where you plug to what pins, Power LED/Reset switch/Power switch/Harddrive LED/Case USB.

3. As far as to where to put your extra cables, I have no idea what case you have. The cables that you use, If its a SATA drive, for power you use the power SATA off the power supply and a SATA cable to the drive to a SATA port on the motherboard. If its IDE, the same. A SATA power connector and 4 pin molex power connector and a IDE and SATA cable looks alot diferent, dont think you will get mixed up.

4. Like above, dont know what case you have.

Make sure you get the standoffs under the board in the right places, so you dont short the board out.

But most of above will be explained in the motherboard manual.

jhooga

for cable management on that case id say invest in some zip ties and work on putting them together as neat as possible. It takes some messing around with sometimes. I think i have redone mine a dozen times and i still dont really like it.

Japjeev

hmm jhooga i have modular so that wont be a big problem for me and i only got about 5 zip ties with the case are those enough?

StrangleHold

Staff member
5. after i assemble my computer do i have to mess around with the bios to install the OS?
Also can i install the OS by a flash drive instead of using the cd drive?

Get a DVD/RW drive, you can get one for like under 25 bucks. Put the OS in the drive. Most modern boards when you first boot, at the bottom of the screen it wilk say hit blah/blah key for boot order. Just pick your drive with the OS in it and you will be one your way.

Rocko

actualy i did buy a cd drive but i was wandering if i can install it from a USb drive since its faster

Its far more reliable to go with a CD/DVD, as all operating systems come on either a CD/DVD. It doesn't take that much longer with a decent drive:good: