Assembly, how long does it take you?

dennykyser

I am not asking how fast you can do it in a hurry, or for an emergency. If you have all your parts do you put one together over a couple days, or do you sit down and finish it all in a few hours?

This is my first build and the reason I ask is I was just going to purchase a Windows XP Pro Upgrade and use one of my old Win 98 disks to upgrade from. I have since learned that the full OEM version is cheaper and probably a better way to go. However by ordering the oem version wont get here the same day as my newegg order :( and my newegg order gets here on my only day off. However if it takes several days to assemble a computer wont be a big deal on waiting on the OS to get here.

Vampiric Rouge

It depends if you know what your doing or not. If you are good you can do it in a couple hours if not it could be all day i would think at the very longest 2 days to build. If you don't hit any snags then in a couple hours. You can install windows at night like during diner start it and just ever now and then walk by and hit next.

Vampiric Rouge

LlamaTronics said:
yea, if your good, and have done t before it goes quick! I dissembled my computer from 1 case, and re-assembled it in a new case in a little less than 1 hour... and I took pics every step of the way!

Here is the tutorial I made, maybe the rebuilding part would help you!
http://www.llamatronics.com/caseproject/

How do you like the clear cases. I never build with one because i was worryed about how messy it would look. It looks pretty cool from the pics.

LlamaTronics

Thanks... I love them! The only thing I didn't like is there are tons and tons of screws, but thats how its held together... Anyway, I think they are awesome! If you go with a clear case, I highly recomend getting round IDE and Floppy cables though, the ribbons can get ugly! Also, I suggest a clear PSU (which I don't have yet) because that just increases the look!

I have also seen people mod the Hard Drive to have a clear outter casing, which looks cool, but the harddrives usually fail shortly after (the tiniest piece of debris can kill the drive!)

apj101

VIP Member
assembly shouldn't take more than 30min-1hour. The slowest parts are connecting the front facia bits and bobs, power, restart, leds etc

Vampiric Rouge

apj101 said:
assembly shouldn't take more than 30min-1hour. The slowest parts are connecting the front facia bits and bobs, power, restart, leds etc

Well if it's his first pc it might be longer then that. Also depends if he has to apply more thermopaste to parts like the north bridge. :)

apj101

VIP Member
Vampiric Rouge said:
Well if it's his first pc it might be longer then that. Also depends if he has to apply more thermopaste to parts like the north bridge. :)
true, but his quesion was "how long does assmebly take you" :), and 30min-1hour is about right. My first ever build took 2-3hours, mainly because i was savouring the moment

dennykyser

You guys Rock, I guess I better go ahead and buy the Upgrade Version of Win XP Pro so I can have the software to load this baby Tuesday night.

Vampiric Rouge

apj101 said:
true, but his quesion was "how long does assmebly take you" :), and 30min-1hour is about right. My first ever build took 2-3hours, mainly because i was savouring the moment

Oh, I didn't see the "you". In that case, your right about on target.

dennykyser

I will take my time and enjoy it, I have to say I have learned more about computers in the last 5 days than I have in the last 15 years I have been using them and I always have been known to be pretty up on PC's, but had no clue on what made them work till I got on here and started reading the information.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hehe, I can build one in less than an hour no problem, but it's best not to rush things. There are so many things you can mess up while building it, so many little things you can do wrong and completely destory the build. I took about 3 hours putting together my main system, checking myself every few steps and powering it up every time I could to be sure it always worked...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I am not asking how fast you can do it in a hurry, or for an emergency. If you have all your parts do you put one together over a couple days, or do you sit down and finish it all in a few hours?
For sure a couple hours ... factoring in experience i wouldnt be surprised if people could through together a system in about 10 minutes .. depends mostly on how finicky the case is :)

Well if it's his first pc it might be longer then that. Also depends if he has to apply more thermopaste to parts like the north bridge.
People who decide to apply thermal paste to their NB generally know what they are doing....

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
it took me forever cause i ordered parts from different places and they arrived during a time period of a month =\ The worst of of putting a computer together is getting all the power switch and reset switch pins in. They're so tiny and my hand isn't exactly the smallest hand. Also i cut myself pretty badly trying to punch in the I/O panel >< Had to take a half hour bandage break. All in all it only took me a few hours to put the computer together but it took a month to wait for the parts.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it took me forever cause i ordered parts from different places and they arrived during a time period of a month =\
I think the point was how long it takes assuming/after you have all the parts on hand. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
i do it all at once, mostly cause im so excited and i dont want to wait. lol

takes me between 2-4 hours to get one put together completely. And another 1-1.5hours to install windows and my programs/drivers.