Assessing a purchase

cachuela

Hi everybody,

I wussed out on building a computer myself, so I thought I took the easy route and went with a custom build from a mom and pop shop. This may not have been the right move. So, I have some questions for you:

I wanted a computer that was fast, reliable and inexpensive. My main uses would be for internet, creating documents, some web site development but nothing major, some flash, and maybe if I wanted a computer game or two. The key for me is that I wanted to be able to have a lot of apps open without the system crashing. So, upon review of some custom builds and there prices I bought, for $500:

CPU AMD Athlon XP2200+
RAM 256MB PC2700 DDR
CD-Rom 52x CDRw
Hard Drive 80GB
Video 64MB AGP Video
Ethernet 10/100 NIC / Sound / 56k
Accessories Floppy / Keybd / Mouse / Spk
Software WinXP Pro, Norton Antivirus
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labor

My first question is: Is this a good price for this?

Now, I took my computer home and ran it... it seemed kind of slow. I didn't realize the AMD Athlon XP2200+ was 1.8ghz, I thought it was 2.2. Oh well, my fault. However, I checked the system and it says it's running AMD Duron AMD Duron XP, 1.2GHZ. On top of that, I'm seeing as a video adapter - VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (32 MB), which makes me assume I didn't get 64MB.

So, my next question is: Is it possible I have the AMD Athlon XP2200+ hardware, but it's not configured correctly? If this is possible, will proper configuration improve my performance?

As well, am I correct in saying that I didn't get my 64MB?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I thought I was working with people who cared about their product, and maybe they do, but this has been a hassle and I don't want to go back in to the store not knowing as much as possible.

red onion

Off the top of my head, it sounds like something fishy going on. Run Belarc Advisor and see what it says. If you paid for an Athlon 2200 but only got a Duron 1.2 Ghz demand changes from the vendor. You should get what you paid for.
BTW, the Athlon 2200 runs at 1.8Ghz but is comparable to an Intel 2.2Ghz; that is where the number comes from. (I have one)

cachuela

I did run Belarc, and as well, it said:

1.20 gigahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

I called the vendor and I'm bringing it in at the end of the week. The thing I'm unsure of is, can you have it configured wrong so Belarc reads it as 1.20 gigahertz AMD Duron, but the chip is actually AMD Athlon XP 2200+? I looked inside the computer and it says Pro 2200+.

red onion

cachuela said:
I did run Belarc, and as well, it said:

1.20 gigahertz AMD Duron

I called the vendor and I'm bringing it in at the end of the week. The thing I'm unsure of is, can you have it configured wrong so Belarc reads it as 1.20 gigahertz AMD Duron, but the chip is actually AMD Athlon XP 2200+? I looked inside the computer and it says Pro 2200+.
You are doing the right thing, ask them to confirm the specs, and to explain why you are getting those readouts. When I press Windows and Pause Break, it says AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2200+ yours should say the same thing if you have the same processor. I am not sure if you CAN configure it that way or WHY someone would want to:confused:. We usually OVERclock, not UNDERclock. It sounds fishy to me. See the vendor and ask for an explanation....maybe he just gave you the wrong box??? ;)

Bobo

banned
cachuela said:
Hi everybody,

I wussed out on building a computer myself, so I thought I took the easy route and went with a custom build from a mom and pop shop. This may not have been the right move. So, I have some questions for you:

I wanted a computer that was fast, reliable and inexpensive. My main uses would be for internet, creating documents, some web site development but nothing major, some flash, and maybe if I wanted a computer game or two. The key for me is that I wanted to be able to have a lot of apps open without the system crashing. So, upon review of some custom builds and there prices I bought, for $500:

That sounds a little overpriced.

If you want to be running a lot of apps, you need more ram. Lots more, like at least 1gig. A faster cpu wouldn't hurt, either

Echo_

Bobo said:
That sounds a little overpriced.

If you want to be running a lot of apps, you need more ram. Lots more, like at least 1gig. A faster cpu wouldn't hurt, either

nope... only really need 512

Echo_

Bobo said:
How come you have 1gig?

.... i really dont like arguing

my budget was 1700 bucks
his is 500
my ram cost 200 bucks
that would be almost half his budget
512 ram is 70 bucks

Echo_

ya you could but youd have to cut off a lot from other areas of your pc which would basically make it not worth to have 1 gig of ram...

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
ya you could but youd have to cut off a lot from other areas of your pc which would basically make it not worth to have 1 gig of ram...

Then I guess its his choice, isn't it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My first question is: Is this a good price for this?
IMHO, no.

Now, I took my computer home and ran it... it seemed kind of slow. I didn't realize the AMD Athlon XP2200+ was 1.8ghz, I thought it was 2.2. Oh well, my fault. However, I checked the system and it says it's running AMD Duron AMD Duron XP, 1.2GHZ. On top of that, I'm seeing as a video adapter - VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (32 MB), which makes me assume I didn't get 64MB.
Rough translation: you got scammed. You see the thing about mom and pop computer stores (and why I personally like them), is that, if you know your way around computers you can get a hell of a good deal .... but if you dont know your way in and out ... you might be in for surprises

Is it possible I have the AMD Athlon XP2200+ hardware, but it's not configured correctly? If this is possible, will proper configuration improve my performance
Specicially with your video ... you have an onboard video setup ... which means you can use system memory in lieu of actual video memory (and thus have less system memory) ... it is [probably] possible to configure the onboard video to use 64MB but they probably configured it (by default) for 32MB. Regardless, the video processor is utter crap.

As well, am I correct in saying that I didn't get my 64MB?
Yes and no. You didnt get the 64MB but you can configure it to be 64MB if you want. Regardless 32MB isnt gonna make a difference since the video unit is too weak for the memory to be a bottleneck

1.20 gigahertz AMD Duron
Translation: you didnt get what you wanted/paid-for

Lots more, like at least 1gig.
You're kidding right?

Depends on how many apps and how extensive they are
If you're using enough to seriously breach 512 then 1024 isnt gonna make a world of difference -- stop and think before you reply to this.

How come you have 1gig?
Dang you're argumentative :p He's got 1GB because memoyr is the bottleneck for his system. For the system in question, memory is not the bottleneck.

I love arguing..
And you're gonna find yourself quickly in the land of banned if you keep it up

mgoldb2

VIP Member
While I agree that 1gig is to much for that system I would still recommend having 512. Maybe I leave to much open but I have never seen my PF usage less then 256. right now as I speaking it at 412.

As for the question was it a good deal. I would say no. I believe you could of done better for $500.

Last edited: