Astrophotography

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras, Webcams and Scanners' started by z3r0, Mar 22, 2015.

1. z3r0

z3r0 New Member

Is any photographer here interested in taking photos of the stars/moon/planets/etc.?

Now that I've upgraded to DSLR, I was thinking about giving it a shot. The information available on the web is vast but relatively confusing. Looking for personal experiences and whatnot, what works, what doesn't...best equipment budget-wise, etc.

2. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

There's a few posts in the "Post your Photography" thread.

Basically you just get to a really dark area, find a spot to focus on, and take a long exposure with a large aperture.

3. G80FTW

G80FTW Active Member

I chose my D3100 specifically for astrophotography. While its obviously not a top of the line DSLR, from what I read it performed much better in low light conditions compared to its higher end models that had the same sensor but higher pixel count.

Im still using the standard 18-55mm lens it came with, but depending on what kind of pictures you are looking at getting you most likely would want a wide lens with a low F stop to get the most light in as possible in a shorter amount of time. Because the longer the shutter speed, you start to get star trails.

Its not a bad idea to also invest about $200 or so into a decent telescope that has a motorized tripod to eliminate star trails and you will also be able to mount the camera to the telescope itself. I still need to get one, my $50 celestron is far from ideal but I have a million hobbies and its hard to dump money into everything. :D