Asus A8N-E Lan/Downloading problems

neophase

Greetings,

I have recently gotten a hold of this new system from NCIX, and the motherboard is the 'ASUS A8N-E motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 Ultra DDR PCI-E16 PCI-E 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN'.

This motherboard came with a pre-installed tower, the whole package.

----------------------

Problem:
I go to download normal files from download.com, say, winamp, winrar, winzip, tigergaming texas hold'em, ewido, hijackthis, d2 expansion update, msn messenger, adware, spybot s&d... etc.
The files download onto my desktop, but when I go to run it, the files are corrupted, inpartial downloads, and it tells me to redownload.
I have downloaded these files before without problem, and I know it's not the source of these files where I am downloading from that is the problem (download.com is not the problem, it's this computer).

---------------------------------------

I was not the one to install windows on this machine. I think NVidia firewall was on, it still may be on but it's not in the systray.
control panel > add/remove programs, I have the NVIDIA DRIVERS, and NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager. Remember that these may not be for the Firewall, but for the actual motherboard itself, so I think I may need these.
It is onboard LAN, there is no pci lan card installed.
I think incorrect or outdated o/b lan drivers were wrongly installed, that is my guess, and I'm having problems finding the o/b lan drivers for this mobo.

------------------------------------

I really appreciate your help and assistance in tackling this problem. This means a lot to me, and I thank you for taking the time to solve this.

Thanks a mil,
Neophase

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The main support page for drivers at Asus didn't mention LAN at all for your model board. But bad or impartial downloads even from Microsoft isn't that rare. You simply redownload until you get good copies. Often when a site's or even ISP servers are bogged down this can happen. It wouldn't hurt to run a few adware/spyware removers as a precaution however. Sometimes there's a bot hidden in a freeware.

B-MAN

Get an update of the nforce drivers and shut down that firewall.. i'm having nothing but troubles with that thing!

PC eye

banned
Along with the firewall problem try downloading to a temp folder rather then the desktop. When any of the downloads are zips and not exe use the checkout option in Winzip 10 when going to run them. You will probably see a noticable improvement along with disabling the firewall.

asdfguy

I don't think it has anything to do with what/where you're DL'ing. I had N-force or Nvidia firewall (whatever its called) also. It did exactly what you describe. It corrupts every DL. I've said this before, thier may be a switch somwhere in the program that will fix it, but I didn't care enough to find it. I uninstalled it and everything is fine.

Also, not to sound like a jerk, and Im sorry if I do, but I've never had to keep DL'ing something over and over again untill it DL'ed correctly. That's definatly NOT the fix to your problem.

Good Luck!

PC eye

banned
When any software, firewall, utility, etc. becomes a problem I usually find a nice spot in the recycle bin for it. Even with a few bad/incomplete downloads the repeat tries usually see no problems. MSN Messenger is another item that could be interferring with downloads as well depending on how that was configured. You may have to put that in a closet temporarily when going for any specific type of downloads.