Asus AC adapter problems (kind of)

flametenshi

Hello! I bought an asus K20BF last year, and I put my own graphics card in it, but the AC adapter's not powerful enough to support it. Is there any way that I can actually buy a better AC adapter?

well, if you find a more powerful ac adaptor brick, and plug the charge lead in to it (assuming its the same connector) then in theory yes, youre rolling the dice if you can find a brick that happens to be the same, but ive done it before

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Uhm. This is a desktop pc and you just need a better power supply. What video card do you have?

flametenshi

The problem is that I'm not sure if my PC doesn't have a power supply. I've checked everywhere, disassembled it multiple times, but I never found it. I think that the power supply itself is the AC adapter. Here's a picture of my PC: https://s24.postimg.org/ilx25sk5x/WP_20170212_001.jpg The big block on the left side isn't the power supply, it only contains both of my hard drives (Don't mind the red tape lol). here's my AC adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Asus-B43V-CU024X-B53V-S4042X-B53V-SO041X-compatible/dp/B00B6TFYPA My graphics card is an AMD radeon HD 6670. Thanks a lot for the replies :D

Thats strange, that is infact a pc run off an AC adaptor... My best suggestion is to get a PC run off a proper PSU if you wanna upgrade stuff :p But, call asus, they know more about their junk than anyone on here does

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Crapola, unfortunately, I was at work on my phone when I replied earlier and didn't realize it was one of these types of machines. You will have to contact Asus to verify what the max video card you can use. But would suggest getting a different system if you really want to game.

beers

Staff member
If you can match the connector size, polarity and voltage you could throw in a higher amperage brick.

flametenshi

Yea I thought about doing that, but right now, I don't have any money, so I'll probably make another thread when the time comes. Thanks for the reply!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you will find a higher wattage unit. You have to remember these cheap pcs aren't designed for gaming. You mat find a 120 watt one but what good is that gonna do?

flametenshi

I don't plan on keeping this PC for a long time. I only bought it because it was cheap. The AC adapter works fine only if I underclock my GPU (still better than the integrated one), if I set it to normal, the AC adapter overheats. do you think that putting a fan over the AC adapter would actually help temporarily?