Asus Laptop not waking from sleep

Kesava

I have an Asus K53SV, it is about 1.5 years old. Lately when I have been putting it to sleep, it won't wake up. I have to hold the power button until it shuts down and even then, when I start it up, it usually hangs on the ASUS screen, it doesn't POST. If I remove and replace the battery, it usually starts.

I checked the hard drive for errors, installed the latest nvidia drivers and tried a different stick of ram, which were all things that were found to sometimes be the issue when I did some research. However it may still be a RAM issue, since I can't be sure that the stick I replaced it with is still working and I never replaced the battery when I tried it.

I think that the only thing left for me to do is to test my ram for errors. I downloaded Memtest86+ however before I let it run for a while, I want to know if it's the best program for the job and how long I should run it for.

If you have any other suggestions as to what could be the issue then please let me know. I've checked the power plan settings and everything I can think of, reset the bios back to defaults etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kesava

i_hate_toms

RAM, GPU, or BIOS issue.

You've tried resetting the BIOS, and it didn't help, plus the thing hangs before loading Windows so it's not a Windows driver problem.
If memtest is not having trouble with the RAM, the RAM's probably good as well.
It's probably the GPU acting grim.
Flash the BIOS. Download the latest BIOS image from the manufacturer's website and Flash your BIOS. Let us know if that helps.

Kesava

You've tried resetting the BIOS, and it didn't help, plus the thing hangs before loading Windows so it's not a Windows driver problem.
If memtest is not having trouble with the RAM, the RAM's probably good as well.
It's probably the GPU acting grim.
Flash the BIOS. Download the latest BIOS image from the manufacturer's website and Flash your BIOS. Let us know if that helps.

I ran memtest for around 6.5 hours last night. It did 7 passes and found 0 errors.

I also tried swapping the current 4GB stick of RAM with a different one again. It didn't immediately work with the replacement stick of RAM but after a few resets it worked with the 1GB replacement. I then tried with the old 4GB and it didn't work, then again with the 1GB and it worked. I repeated this another couple of times just to be sure. This made me think yet again that it was a RAM issue so I decided to run it for a while with the 1GB stick. Obviously it was quite slow with only 1GB.

When I put it to sleep, it again wouldn't wake up and when I held the power button for 5 seconds and then started it, it froze on the Asus screen, so I am now sure that it's not a RAM issue as it is doing the same thing with both sticks of RAM.

I should mention that I had the hard drive and battery removed while I tested the different sticks of RAM, so I'm also sure it's not a hard drive or battery issue.

I just tried to update the BIOS, however the update utility said that it already has the latest version and that the update file that I got from the Asus website and is the latest they have, is older than the current BIOS.

So if it's not RAM or Hard Drive or Battery then I don't know what else I can actually troubleshoot. I installed the latest nVidia drivers for the GPU and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

i_hate_toms

does this happen only while waking up from sleep?
or does this happen even while restarting/ starting up from shut down state?
Can the issue be reproduced when the computer is NOT connected to the mains and is using its battery to power itself? Are you sure the memory timings are set to "Auto" in BIOS?

Kesava

does this happen only while waking up from sleep?
or does this happen even while restarting/ starting up from shut down state?
Can the issue be reproduced when the computer is NOT connected to the mains and is using its battery to power itself? Are you sure the memory timings are set to "Auto" in BIOS?

It happens both times. The computer rarely wakes from sleep successfully, so you have to power it off by holding down the power button. And then when you try to start it, it freezes on the Asus boot screen.

It happens on battery and on mains and on mains without battery connected.

There are no options for setting the memory timing or anything like that in the BIOS. It is very limited.