Asus m4a785td-m evo no post/ video

Dan1985uk

Hi guys I picked up the above motherboard from eBay with an athlon ii x2 in it and one stick of generic ddr3 2gb 1333mhz. Everything worked fine got to bios.

Decided to buy a x4 640 for it and 8gb of memory so I went for a corsair matched pair of value select ddr3 8gb 2x4gb 1333mhz.

Now stupidly I sold the x2 and 2gb stick. And after installing my new gear I dont get a post or any video on screen. Motherboards fine it powers up and cpu fan spins etc.

Is it my ram? I only have one other ram stick and its an 8gb dimm of 1600 ddr3 crucial brand. I read the manual and says it only supports 4 gb dimms.

Darren

Staff member
Might be poorly seated CPU. But yeah liable to be RAM too. Reset CMOS and try a stick at a time. Reseat CPU for good measure.

Darren

Staff member
Its not the cpu that went and slotted in perfectly. I'll try though. I'll try cmos too and report back.
Even if it's in place right you might have a pin or two not making good contact. It's happened to the best of us, easy and worth trying.

Does the board have a built in speaker? If so, does it make any noises? Try booting with no RAM in it, should beep at you if it has a speaker.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
See what bios revision you are running, must be 0910 to support the x4 640. It will do some fast beeps with no ram installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, missed where you said you sold old cpu. Most likely this is your problem then. You'll need a different cpu to test. One of your local computer repair shops may have something that will work with that board to test.

Dan1985uk

Ok tried some stuff. Reseated cpu, nope. Cleared cmos, nope. Tried my single 8gb stick on its own in every slot nope. Tried each corsair in every slot nope.

Found a spare mobo speaker and plugged it in. No beeps or video output with any of the above ram configurations. Lots of fast beeps like u said with no ram in at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no bios revision 0930 though. Goes from 0921 to 2004. Weird nothing with ram installed but it beeps with no ram installed. Kinda wondering if it is because cpu isn't supported because of bios version. Can't rule that out until access bios to see.

Dan1985uk

BBRHeSt.png

Ah just remembered I took a screenie with my phone of my screen when my test bench booted up for the first time...lucky . I think this confirms your theory? This is with the x2 245 in and 2gb ram.

Definitely says 0904.

Edit ...I'm aware ive got my cpu fan plugged in the wrong place. Corrected that after this shot taken.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that confirms my theory. You will need to find a different CPU that works with that bios revision and then update bios then install new cpu.

Dan1985uk

On it. Popping into the repair shop on the way home hes gonna give me a sempron am2+. My motherboard is backwards compatible

Dan1985uk

Damn it. The chip does not fit. It has two too many pins apart from that the layout is nearly the same. Sempron from 05. Ive ordered an am3 sempron instead from eBay for £5. Its listed on the boards cpu list for its current bios.

Dan1985uk

The wrong one John. So angry with myself. I checked the cpu support list with relevent bios revisions. I ordered an am3 sempron 145 2.8ghz it turns out I thought I was ordering the right chip but this one is only supported from bios 2005 upwards so yet again I have a black screen. I need the sempron 2.7ghz supported by my bios which I thought I had ordered. Another 2 days wasted. I'll report back when i get the right cpu.