ASUS RT-AC68U WAN IP Question?

johnnyb58

I had to have Spectrum replace an old cable modem last night and there was a problem with the Ethernet port on the new modem. The technician would not except that the problem was not in my router and was trying to change my settings until I finally bypassed the router altogether with an Ethernet cable, but I think he must have managed to do something to the router through the Win 10 settings.

Anyway I noticed that our cell phones will no longer connect to our security cameras. So I went in to the router to see if there was something obvious and I see a warning that “The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work.”

It is set to Automatic and I think it was always set to that. The other thing that is different is that the computer says I’m connected to “Network 2” instead of my router name like before although I’m not sure that’s a problem because I am connected to the internet.

johnnyb58

What modem device did they give you?

I’m not sure, but it is a Cable Modem/WIFI Router although the WIFI is supposed to be blocked because I have my own router.
It says Technicolor TC8717T on the back so I guess that’s it.

johnnyb58

Oh boy I just realized the WIFI from the Cable Modem is showing up on my computer as available, so I guess i have to deal with Spectrum allover again to shut it off.

johnnyb58

Thanks beers, I have to think about this. I don't want to use their router at all, because then I believe I lose control of my network and have to deal with spectrum every time something goes wrong. The Tech said it wasn't a good thing for both WIFIs to run at the same time.

beers

Staff member
. The Tech said it wasn't a good thing for both WIFIs to run at the same time.
Depends, if they're on separate channels it doesn't matter too much.

Sounds like your tech didn't really know much about anything.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you are paying monthly rent on this new modem? Why don't you just get your own modem? You already got your own router.

johnnyb58

Sounds like your tech didn't really know much about anything.
Well I won't argue that point from all the trouble I had convincing him that there wasn't anything wrong with my router. LOL

I'm reading the manual now on the Technicolor TC8717T to see if I can shut off the WIFI myself before calling Spectrum.

johnnyb58

I assume you are paying monthly rent on this new modem? Why don't you just get your own modem? You already got your own router.
I probably am and my wife would know that more than me because she pays the bills.
I don't know if I can buy my own cable modem or not, but my wife is looking for the bill now. Oh she just said it's $10 a month

beers

Staff member
Any DOCSIS 3 modem on the market should realistically work. If you have a speed package like 50 mbit you can even pick up a SB6121 or similar on eBay for like $20-30

johnnyb58

I just talked to Spectrum and they shut off their WIFI service on the cable modem. Their WIFI is no longer showing up on the WIFI’s available list, but my security cameras are still not showing up on the internet.

I had this same problem when I replaced my ASUS RT-N56U with my new RT-AC68U, but I forgot how I fixed it. I have to go back though my old notes to jog my memory.

Anyway I still have “The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work” warning and I don’t know if that is going away or not.

beers

Staff member
You'll have these same problems until you go into bridge mode.

You might be able to double port forward to your cameras (which is a bad idea to begin with) from the cable modem to the router, and then from the router to your NVR or similar.

johnnyb58

I’m just so burnt out right now that I can’t make sense of it and I don’t understand why I need a bridge when they were supposed to turn off the WIFI router in the modem.

It was a port forwarding problem the last time, but I just checked it and it is still all correct.

I just don’t understand why the bridge, the modem is supposed to be just internet and phone connection without router right now.

I wounder if I pull the main circuit breaker on the house to shut everything down if it will all come back up. LOL

beers

Staff member
Current device is NATting traffic. Router is NATting traffic again. You need to either bridge mode to avoid the first NAT or double port forward to traverse through two NATs.

Renzore101

I think the double NAT is probably a bad idea. As previously stated, just go buy a modem and provide Spectrum with the MAC address to get around that whole mess. P.S. good luck with Spectrum, they are an absolute cluster. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.