Asus RT-N56U Connection Problems

johnnyb58

I'm having two problems with separate devices.

1) I keep having an Authentication Problem with my Android Tablet on my home network and have to pull the plug on the router to connect. I don’t know if it’s the router or the tablet and it’s working now but I don’t know for how long.

2) I also lost total connection to my home network on a lap top with Win 7, but I still have full WiFi internet access and it used to work great until I updated the firmware. Win 7 says something about having to make something a home page??? It also says “This computer can’t connect to a homegroup” WTF?? I have a unique name for my home network and I can’t figure out how to change or connect to a different network from the laptop. I have another Win 7 computer and it connected to my home network automatically when I connected to my WiFi.

So what’s going on all of a sudden and is it router related?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The home group issue isn't router related unless you already setup a homegroup. Homegroup is nice, I'm using it to connect to files on another pc.

As far as the authentication issue goes, try deleting the wireless connection for your network in the tablet and then reset it back up. This could be the issue. If you keep having issues then unplug router and wait a minute and then plug it back in.

johnnyb58

The home group issue isn't router related unless you already setup a homegroup. Homegroup is nice, I'm using it to connect to files on another pc.

As far as the authentication issue goes, try deleting the wireless connection for your network in the tablet and then reset it back up. This could be the issue. If you keep having issues then unplug router and wait a minute and then plug it back in.

I just don't understand "homegroup" I've had a hem network for many years and its always been and the name of the home network along with the password and its done. The Homegroup thing doesn't ask for a network name so how is it supposed to see my network. I've looked at every setting and I can not find anything to specify my network.

I've deleted and reconnected the wireless connection on The android tablet about 10 to 12 times and it works less than half the time, but pulling the plug on the router works every time. Its just a mater of how long will it last.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know firmware version you upgraded to? What version does the router say you have? You don't have to use homegroup, it just makes it easier to network computers that can run a homegroup. As long as you have the network name the same and allow sharing on each computer you can still basically do the same thing a homegroup does. If you could post images of these messages you are getting, it may help us determine why you are getting them. You may be trying to do something you don't need to do.

johnnyb58

Oh after last week’s fiasco, I think I’ll pass for awhile. :eek:

Anyway I just noticed that my vista desktop sees my lap top, but it wants a username and a password. I have no idea what it could be and I don’t think I’ve ever assigned one. :confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh after last week’s fiasco, I think I’ll pass for awhile. :eek:

Then I don't know what to tell you. I've also seen where a particular wireless or wired device attached to a network can cause connection issues with other devices.

Anyway I just noticed that my vista desktop sees my lap top, but it wants a username and a password. I have no idea what it could be and I don’t think I’ve ever assigned one. :confused:

Since one of your machines is Vista, it can be a pain setting up sharing. This article may help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...computers-running-different-windows=windows-7

johnnyb58

Thanks John, that was a very helpful link, but I'm missing stuff in my settings. For one thing I do not have anyway to select 'Home network". In fact I have no choices at all and the Network and Sharing Center actually says that I do not have the network capability on this computer.

Now I know I use to because I would write stuff on this laptop and bring it home to download the files directly to my public documents through the network connection.

I'm starting to think that the same reason for not connecting to a network is the same reason that my Word 2010 starter program quit working. Something has corrupted on this computer to cause all this.

Check out the screenshot part way down directly under ‘To choose a network location’ at this link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/choosing-network-location#1TC=windows-7

I do not have these options. :(

Last edited:

johnnyb58

Can you post screen shots of what you do have?
Well I don't know what its going to provide because it just says its not connected, but thats only because I can't select 'Home Network" although it is connected to the internet.

NetWorkScreenShot_zps4aafe316.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a wireless or wired connection on this machine? Have you tried clicking on connect to a network?

johnnyb58

Ok I hooked the laptop directly to the router and it doesn’t make a difference. I can connect to the internet, but not to the network. When I try to connect it says I’m already connected, so I removed the connection and reconnected, Once again I have internet, but no network.

The Network sharing says “this computer cannot connect to a Homegroup” even though I was connected all summer long.

Cantconnecttohomegroup_zpsc9f2269e.png

I’m starting to think it’s a Win7 problem although my Android Tablet is not connecting this morning again.:(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Start the homegroup troubleshooter and see what it says, its the bottom option.

johnnyb58

Ok I did that and it said to reset the router which I did and my tablet started working but not the laptop. After picking "No it did not fix" Windows says I don't have the right permissions. :mad::rolleyes:

johnnyb58

Is your user account an administrator account?

Yes I’m listed as the owner and have full admin rights

Anyway I just noticed this little bit of Conflicting connection Status. I didn’t notice it before. I wonder if the driver on the laptop is corrupt and maybe I should update the driver

WirlessConnection_zps6ad257c5.png

johnnyb58

Yes uninstalling then reinstalling the wireless driver.

Ok that was a complete disaster. I deleted the driver and the computer could not find another. So I went on line to download one and everything is screwed up now after installing. Now i can't even get n the internet with the lap top. :(

I'm just burnt out right now and need to take a break to clear my head. I might wait till tomorrow to do this. :cool: