Asus V.S Gigabyte

prithive

I am planning to buy Intel i3 2120 (3.3GHz)..
So, I am confuse which motherboard shall i pick. I have tried both brands of motherboard for LGA 775...I fell like Gigabyte offered high speed....But some people suggest that ASUS is the top....Another thing I am confuse abot the 12V CPU connector....For ASUS motherboard it has 2 PIN...For Gigabyte has only 1 pin..Which is better? By the way I going to use it for video editing, especially encode hd videos....Thanks in advance...

linkin

VIP Member
So, I am confuse which motherboard shall i pick. I have tried both brands of motherboard for LGA 775...I fell like Gigabyte offered high speed....But some people suggest that ASUS is the top....Another thing I am confuse abot the 12V CPU connector....For ASUS motherboard it has 2 PIN...For Gigabyte has only 1 pin..Which is better? By the way I going to use it for video editing, especially encode hd videos....Thanks in advance...

You need an LGA1155 motherboard for that CPU.

To be safe, you should get a motherboard that has a 4+4pin (8-pin EPS) CPU connector, if your powersupply has one. If it doesn't, it's likely outdated and you will need to upgrade that, too.

Jamebonds1

That Intel i3 2120 is LGA 1155 and won't fit on LGA 775 motherboard.

spirit

Staff member
Both Gigabyte and ASUS are good brands, they're really the only motherboard brands I buy into (but MSI are also good too). Just go with whichever GB or ASUS board fits into your price range and gives you the best features for the money. You can't really go wrong with either, but it must be said that Gigabyte's support is often better than ASUS'.

jonnyp11

ASRock and MSI are also great brands, as long as you don't get a super cheap one they are all really good.

Gun

Asus and Gigabyte are probably the two most popular Motherboard brands. I was tossing up which one to get as well. I decided on Gigabyte in the end because I heard a couple of bad things about Asus's customer support. However Asus is still a really good brand.

tech savvy

Ok, first off, people, he's not saying he's going to buy a 2120 in slap it in a 775 MoBo. I think what he's saying is that he has experience with both brand's when he had his 775 setup.

Ok, back to the OP.

It's really depends on how much $ you are willing to spend. They both offer great boards at ok prices, but if I had to chose ASUS or Gigbyte, it would be ASUS.

For the 1 and 2 12v connection; Every MoBo(almost)has atleast 1 8/4pin 12v CPU connection. The ones that come with 2 8/4 pin 12v connections are for people that really what to push there CPU/Mobo to the limit. Not saying that a single 8/4 pin connection cant be pushed, just that it cant be pushed as far.

Hope this helps,GL!

Last edited:

prithive

Bro so now decided to buy ASUS.....But I dont understand about the CPU pin connector...So if I want high load cpu then 2 pin 12V would be be better right...

tech savvy

Bro so now decided to buy ASUS.....But I dont understand about the CPU pin connector...So if I want high load cpu then 2 pin 12V would be be better right...

It's like comparing a 2500k and a 2500. One can be push further then the other.

If your not planning on pushing your CPU past 4.5, then a single 12v connector will do just fine.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

And ASUS isn't as good as Gigabyte, they are the same quality but Gigabyte offers better support after the fact, the other guy is just an ASUS fanboy, many are because ASUS has a republic of gamers and all this marketing crap that makes them look cooler. I have no preference and have used Gigabyte and ASRock and would gladly use a ASUS or MSI if they were the better deal (maybe not ASUS at this time, once they straighten their crap).

Give us a budget and we can link you the best motherboard you can get for that, and some cheaper ones too if you want.

Jamebonds1

And ASUS isn't as good as Gigabyte, they are the same quality but Gigabyte offers better support after the fact, the other guy is just an ASUS fanboy, many are because ASUS has a republic of gamers and all this marketing crap that makes them look cooler. I have no preference and have used Gigabyte and ASRock and would gladly use a ASUS or MSI if they were the better deal (maybe not ASUS at this time, once they straighten their crap).

Give us a budget and we can link you the best motherboard you can get for that, and some cheaper ones too if you want.

Right. Sometime ASUS is good and bad. When i was young, ASUS isn't really good but they're improve some. Just like Gigabyte except for support problem. I have ASUS monitor, DVD burner and Blu ray ROM. They're good and is newest this year.

Why i choose Gigabyte? Good USB power, DualBIOS, better overclock, more heavy copper PCB, able to read many RAM, often stable, able to charging phone when computer is off, and motherboard didn't get really hot. Also energy save.

My main BIOS fail three time because of overclock error. Plus main BIOS fail one time when BIOS is corrupted. Backup BIOS has recovery and repair main BIOS itself inside motherboard, and it save my money from RMA. Believe me, it scary me off.

jonnyp11

yeah i love the dual bios, never had to use it but great feature just in case, even this cheap-o one i got for free with my processor has it, only a 60 buck mobo. although my chipset gets really hot, almost 70C!!!

Jamebonds1

yeah i love the dual bios, never had to use it but great feature just in case, even this cheap-o one i got for free with my processor has it, only a 60 buck mobo. although my chipset gets really hot, almost 70C!!!

Yike. not good. :( You can get heatsink on power core and chipset. That's why i like my Thermaltake tower with 11 fan :)

tech savvy

Who? because im reading though the thread again just to see if I missed something. Nope, I didnt see NO fanboy(s), just people giving there opinion. The only real fanboy post on here is yours, of cousre though, you have a gigabyte board.

Like what was said multiple times, depends on how much $$ he can invest. I have nothing ASUS on my build, and if I was a fanboy it would be EVGA, not ASUS. You dont got to get all flipped out because he decided to get the ASUS, instead of the Gigabyte, wtf?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Who? because im reading though the thread again just to see if I missed something. Nope, I didnt see NO fanboy(s), just people giving there opinion. The only real fanboy post on here is yours, of cousre though, you have a gigabyte board.

Like what was said multiple times, depends on how much $$ he can invest. I have nothing ASUS on my build, and if I was a fanboy it would be EVGA, not ASUS. You dont got to get all flipped out because he decided to get the ASUS, instead of the Gigabyte, wtf?

I would not worry about it. Only three people posting in this thread have any idea what they are talking about. The others are just noob fanboys that just repeat what they have heard or from the one or two computer they have built, lol. Just wait and see the noob rant that will appear.

FuryRosewood

Id say if you want features, go with the asus boards, they tend to have better features. Gigabyte tends to be the reliable and bare bone board to me. I currently am looking at asus because of their built in fan controller.

Jamebonds1

Id say if you want features, go with the asus boards, they tend to have better features. Gigabyte tends to be the reliable and bare bone board to me. I currently am looking at asus because of their built in fan controller.

Gaming Gigabyte motherboard also have fan controller.

FuryRosewood

Ive owned several, and none of the gigabyte boards seem to have any control over fanspeed. Thats why im going with asus this time around.