ASUS Zenbook vs Lenovo T440s?

ezefosure

Buying a new laptop in the next week or 2. Specifically looking for an ultrabook to throw Linux on as the primary OS.

At the moment, I'm down to either the Asus Zenbook UX301LA-DH51T or the Lenovo T440s.

Both I'd get w/ 8 gb RAM, the i5-4200U, & 256 SSDs (the Zenbook has 2 128 SSDs in a RAID 0 config).

Don't care too much for the touch screen feature or the Hi Res on the Zenbook (the HiDPI might actually be more of a hassle than a feature on the Zenbook, esp at that small screen size.) More interested in what would be a better computer overall, and which would most likely run Linux better - especially which might have a better touchpad, since in my experience Linux generally has bad touchpad drivers and requires hours of manual config to get them working decently.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I think you made the right decision, I prefer Lenovo over any other OEM

ezefosure

Decided to return the T440s.

Ordered one - had a defective keyboard. Returned it and paid to rush deliver a replacement.

Been using the replacement for about 3 weeks now and the screen really hurts my eyes. The click pad is annoying - tho after playing around w/ it for 2 weeks I finally got a decent config for it in Linux. There's quite a few other small problems I have w/ it however, which I find unacceptable after paying for a premium product. I have a still-functional macbook that I was trying to upgrade/migrate from - it's not worth it if the replacement has the same, or worse, user experience after paying for a new laptop.

I'll be checking out the Zenbook reviews now, and any other competition that I can find.

Jiniix

I would have recommended the T440s as well, but with a warning. I hate the touchpad as well.

ezefosure

I returned the T440s. Ended up getting the Dell XPS 13.

I've noticed a few problem areas on the Dell XPS 13 already, and miss a few features that were present on the T440s. However, overall I'm much happier with this machine than the Lenovo - both hardware wise and experience running Linux. I'm keeping it.

spirit

Staff member
Sometimes I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't mind the new clickpads on the ThinkPads and yes I've owned older ThinkPads too. Presently I have an L540.

But I'm pleased you're happy with the Dell. Also very good machines. :good: