at&t

pokethesmot

im moving out to the sticks and i have heard u cant get at&t Internet out here. I know u can get there phone service but just not Internet and i was wondering why?...some one told me it was because they don't have fiber optic cables ran and if thats true is there anyway to convince them to run them? because i hate satellite Internet

MyCattMaxx

Do some research for your area.
Wireless ISP's are popping up everywhere, I'm on one right now.
A google search showed quite a few in Georgia.
I get 3 meg down and 380K up. For $35. It's good enough for what I do.
I'm out in the sticks and it's the only thing doing short of costly satellite.
I used to use my Verizon phone as a modem but it was costly and I had a 5 gig cap per month.

Last edited:

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Typically wireless ISP's have bandwidth caps too. In addition depending on which one you get you won't end up having a real routable IP address meaning online gaming and any services that you want to run out of your house will be an absolute mess.

tremmor

I had the same problem. Stuck with comcast only. ATT Uverse was not there because of fiber optic in my area. I have had now for years. love it. From my research with city and ATT when it is approved by the city and if authorized they have to do it for the entire city. Not pick and choose who there can have it. it will be everybody.
more competition is good. WOW can't get in the city for some reason. don't have a clue why but suspect same problem. i also think these companys lock it in for a number of years to capture the market.

It comes with 12meg i bought 18meg and you can also get 24. Just more money.
Good luck.....

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Wireless internet is usually capped at 5GB, and costs around $60 per month. Good luck getting fiber optic out in the rural areas, your best bet is to check out DSL or cable. If it's very rural, you probably won't have cable either, but you should at least have DSL.

MyCattMaxx

On my wireless IP I can dl about 40 gigs and up about 4 gigs a day when I need to. (DADT)
I have been doing it a long time.

Geoff

VIP Member
On my wireless IP I can dl about 40 gigs and up about 4 gigs a day when I need to. (DADT)
I have been doing it a long time.
When you say wireless IP, are you referring to a citywide WiFi / WiMax? With 3G internet you are limited to 5GB per month.

MyCattMaxx

I'm not sure if I have 3g or what.
The ISP I have is growing statewide city by city.
I'm in the sticks so I have an antenna on one of my towers pointed at theirs.
Even my driveway is 1/2 miles off the road in the woods.
The local phone company wanted to cut a wide path thru the woods for a line, instead of coming up the driveway. I told them to ''F'' off.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not sure if I have 3g or what.
The ISP I have is growing statewide city by city.
I'm in the sticks so I have an antenna on one of my towers pointed at theirs.
Even my driveway is 1/2 miles off the road in the woods.
The local phone company wanted to cut a wide path thru the woods for a line, instead of coming up the driveway. I told them to ''F'' off.
It doesn't sound like a data plan offered by a cell company. I've looked at Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and more and they all offer pretty similar plans, which are 250MB per month for $30, and 5GB per month for $60.