WIndows 10 At the risk of sounding stupid, here comes a file explorer question

novicegeek

So, when I open up file explorer and double-click on my C drive, I have a lot of folders like "Program Files," "Program Files (x86)," "User," and "ProgramData," and I think that is just wonderful. So much so that I would like to have the same thing on my secondary disk drive, where I plan on migrating a lot of my programs and documents and stuff (it's 1 TB, while my C drive is 500 GB and is 83% full).

Is there a way to get those particular types of files on the new SSD as well? Right now the new drive is just a mess of files scattered about with no place to call home.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're looking at the basic file structure of Windows. If you want to organize program installations, etc, you just make the desired directory and install it there.

novicegeek

Yeah, that's where the stupid comes in, 'cause I didn't understand that whole make a desired directory and installation part. Sorry.

strollin

Open the new drive in File Explorer, right click in the file listing area and select New->Folder. Name the folder appropriately and your set. You can now move files into that folder or, when installing a program, change the install destination so that the program is installed in your new folder.

novicegeek

All right strollin, for some reason that was much simpler than I was thinking. I'm trying to make this too complicated.

Aldan, I actually like the cloning idea. I guess all the registry entries clone with it. Never mind. Stupid question, which I seem to be full of at the moment.

Thanks all.

Might be a better idea to make a clean install on the secondary drive. Otherwise, If you have stuff like music and videos on your first drive move those. For programs/games, it might actually improve your performance a bit if you uninstall them from the first and reinstall them on the second, if they run on a separate drive than the operating system. I haven't looked into cloning a lot, but you might run into problems when booting from the second drive, because of EFI entries. I'm not sure, but something to look out for.