At what point would an upgrade to an RTX 3080 be worth it?

gillmanjr

Hey guys, I've been mulling this over for the last couple of months and following Ampere news pretty closely. You can see my current rig in my signature. My questions:

1. How much more powerful does the 3080 need to be vs. the 2080 for the upgrade to even be worth it at all?

2. Assuming the performance gain is enough, how much do you think I should pay out of pocket (after I sell my 2080)?

FYI the only reason I am even considering this upgrade is because my monitor is a 120 Hz, 1440p ultrawide. Although the 2080 has served me well up to now, in the coming years it is going to start struggling a little with some titles (Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind). I just recently finished RDR2 (absolutely amazing game btw) but I couldn't get near high or ultra graphics settings, not if I wanted to maintain 60 Hz minimum.

Also, I will not consider AMD cards because my monitor is G-Sync.

gillmanjr

We don't technically know what the performance of the upcoming RTX 3080 is apart from rumours.

Right, thats why I worded my post the way I did. In your opinion how much of a performance gain does their need to be for the upgrade to be worth it over the 2080? I'm thinking something like 25% otherwise I won't bother. I have seen rumors that its going to be 30% more powerful than the 2080ti, which would be crazy, and if thats the case I would likely upgrade no matter what the cost.

beers

Staff member
I'd see how the reviews pan out. Both Ampere and RDNA2 are rumored to be +50% of the 2080Ti but I feel like solid numbers over hysteria/leaks would be more beneficial, especially when dropping close to $1k.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Right, thats why I worded my post the way I did. In your opinion how much of a performance gain does their need to be for the upgrade to be worth it over the 2080? I'm thinking something like 25% otherwise I won't bother. I have seen rumors that its going to be 30% more powerful than the 2080ti, which would be crazy, and if thats the case I would likely upgrade no matter what the cost.
It's usually not that straight forward. As beers has said, Big Navi is also coming out soon. I would hold out to reviews as well before contemplating on it.

No real point in discussing without any concrete numbers. Don't hype yourself for any potential disappointment.

gillmanjr

There will be no disappointment, not on my part. Like I said, the 2080 does just fine, even at 3440x1440. I just won't upgrade now if the performance gain isn't that great. I'll either wait until prices drop or wait until some kind of "super" tier card launches in another year.

And I don't care about Big Navi, I won't consider an AMD card, I don't care how good it is. I invested too much in a G-Sync monitor to switch to AMD now. But I will be shocked if Big Navi beats out the 3080, let alone the 3080ti/3090.

gillmanjr

From the looks of it the RTX 3080 is going to be an absolute BEAST. Some initial benchmarks are showing a 50% performance gain over the 2080ti! I'm definitely upgrading, that question is answered. I should be able to get half my money back for selling my 2080, its a no brainer upgrade.

I'm genuinly scared the crypto miners are gonna buy all the supply like we saw with rtx 2018/2019
They're bound to upgrade once the release date rolls around

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm running a 1070 right now and the pricepoint for the 3080 looks good. Would be a nice bump in performance for VR.

I'm genuinly scared the crypto miners are gonna buy all the supply like we saw with rtx 2018/2019
They're bound to upgrade once the release date rolls around

Cryptomining with a GPU is nowhere near as prevalent as it was 10+ years ago.

Cryptomining with a GPU is nowhere near as prevalent as it was 10+ years ago.
Doesn't have to be
It's prevalent enough that it could still cause supply problems, particularly with coronavirus uncertainty
Wasn't long ago that a 1070 was selling for $700+
If I see a 3080 selling for outlandish prices during a shortage, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger until things calm down

Intel_man

VIP Member
Don't be a vagina, think of the pollution of all of the extra electricity generated was to run that.

Trying to weigh what to do with this 1080Ti
Ehhh... I'd rather not burn another $200 cad on a PSU. I only recently got mine... thinking that a die shrink nvidia gpu would increase power efficiencies. Which it probably did but Nvidia decided to just eat all the power in the world and at the same time bury its foot into AMD Radeon's face.

gillmanjr

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a 3080? This is such nonsense, Nvidia really F'd up this launch...:rolleyes:

I am ready to pull the trigger on a 3080, I just CAN'T FIND ONE!!!! :mad: