Athlon 2.4 running slow ??

ajpepe72

I have just built a pc using pcchips M811 FSB266 with Athlon 2.4 chip. the system boots up fine and loads windows xp fine but after about 5 minutes if i press cntr, alt, delete it says cpu usage is 100% even though there are no programmes running and it just stays at 100% then. any ideas ? If i go to task manager and click processes one of the items says svchost.exe/system and the figure "70" under the CPU heading, then lower down another which says system / system and says "30" under the CPU heading. any ideas as i havnt a clue.

Last edited:

Jimbob1989

banned
ajpepe72 said:
I have just built a pc using pcchips M811 FSB266 with Athlon 2.4 chip. the system boots up fine and loads windows xp fine but after about 5 minutes if i press cntr, alt, delete it says cpu usage is 100% even though there are no programmes running and it just stays at 100% then. any ideas ? If i go to task manager and click processes one of the items says svchost.exe/system and the figure "70" under the CPU heading, then lower down another which says system / system and says "30" under the CPU heading. any ideas as i havnt a clue.

There is a virus which can do this.

Jimbob

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
with Athlon 2.4 chip
So you've got a FX53/Athlon-4000 in there? :)

if I press cntr, alt, delete it says cpu usage is 100% even though there are no programmes running and it just stays at 100% then. any ideas ?
Definitely seems like its not a hardware issue for ya :)

If I go to task manager and click processes one of the items says svchost.exe/system and the figure "70" under the CPU heading, then lower down another which says system / system and says "30" under the CPU heading. any ideas as I havnt a clue
1. I assume you've done the preliminary virus/spyware checks
2. Have a run through of what services and crap you've got running (Start -->Run-->services.msc)

There is a virus which can do this.
Theres tons 'o virii that can do that :p

kappa4184

Yeah, I doubt that it is your CPU because I have the same problem right now and I have a 3.0 P4 running at normal temps. :mad:

Praetor: What Should I be looking for in the services screen? :confused:

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
because I have the same problem right now and I have a 3.0 P4 running at normal temps
A bit hard to do a cross comparison like that :)

Praetor: What Should I be looking for in the services screen?
Stuff that shouldnt be starting up :) (there are descriptions for all the services)