ATHLON XP 1800+ Thoroughbred B revision overclocking help.

imjacktoo

Guys, I believe that MSI KT4 Ultra MObo is a VIA chipset (KT400) because of that u won't be able to lock ur PCI and AGP bus.....O/C'ing may be limited

How did u get ur FSB to 166, Thru BIOS or a jumper setting??????

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ok ok..

Yaha. I heard that about the KT400 chipset before and am afraid it's true. This is one of the reasons why I will not take it further and let this baby work perfectly as it is.

As regards to the 166 FSB, all it took was to key-in the number 166, instead of the 133. In my bios, I have to do it manually, but can take it up to 280. I don't see the point because since the AGP/PCI bus is not locked, then it would mess up my board TOTALLY if taken too far!

JAN :)

imjacktoo

Sometimes my stupidity overwhelms me.....I just never thought that going straight to FSB of 166 would make it actually another default to where it wouldn't raise the pci and agp bus....

I raised it from 133 to around 141 before it wouldnt boot...the pci bus raises and than goes back to 33 at 166 fsb and than raises again......

I just don't know what I just don't know!!!!

Thanx, u helped me more than I could help u, but thats normal....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see the point because since the AGP/PCI bus is not locked, then it would mess up my board TOTALLY if taken too far!
You'd be surprised at some of the "freak cases" :p

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ok ok...

Now what are the chances of me successfully changing the multiplier. I mean it's at 11.5 * 166 now and I wanna have it at 12.5/13*166. Is that likely to work? My pc failed to boot when I changed it last time. Is it the voltage...I did not increase it. It's at 1.62 Vcore now.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Now what are the chances of me successfully changing the multiplier. I mean it's at 11.5 * 166 now and I wanna have it at 12.5/13*166. Is that likely to work? My pc failed to boot when I changed it last time. Is it the voltage...I did not increase it. It's at 1.62 Vcore now.
Gotta try it! OCing is really dependent on the specific hardware. Of course you should prolly consider upping the voltage :)

imjacktoo

I moved my TBredB 2400 up to 166 FSB and the multi up untill I got to 13.5..But had to raise Vcore up to 1.872.....the highest it could go

Really stable there and temp under 50c at full load....

On my ASUS mobo I have an over volt dip which can go to 2.05v but I'm on air cooling so I think I will leave it there...

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Raising Vcore...

Ok let's suppose I change it to let's say 1.7V from the default 1.62 and change the multiplier to 12.5/13, is it likely to work? Anyone had the same problem with not being able to boot cause of upping the multiplier by that abmmount (from 11.5 to 12.5/13).

JAN :D

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
PLEASE>>>>

LOL...I thought at least someone would know. :D
Well looks like I will have to try it out....

imjacktoo

If u can't raise ur multi up without it crashing or not booting it could be u need to raise ur voltage to the processor...as far as how far to raise it, u will have to judge that by ur results....1.7 would be a start.....Keep track of your heat!!!

Do u have real time temp program that will let u know ur temps?????

Have fun!!!!!!!

Jack

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If u can't raise ur multi up without it crashing or not booting it could be u need to raise ur voltage to the processor...as far as how far to raise it, u will have to judge that by ur results....1.7 would be a start.....Keep track of your heat!!!
or here's an idea ... *lower* the multiplier :p (as well as activating any locks if present(

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ok...

Praetor...sorry man could you please tell me what exactly you mean? I am not exactly sure what you mean. Anyway thanx for the help guys. I knew that at least one sould would be found that could help me with my long problem.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Lol

I decided to make this forum entry alive again :). This is because I want to squeeze a bit more out of my baby. I still want to change the multiplier...because I am afraid of raising the FSB. Although I know that that's likely to bring little in performance, I wanna risk it. I will raise the CPU voltage and increase the multiplier.