ATI HD4850 CrossFire Question

some1

hey hmm... im new as of today.. and i dont know much about computer but i just have question on how Crossfire work cause i have no idea...

Question 1: Does Crossfire need a Power supply that says ATI Crossfire ready...??

Question 2: Does crossfire need special type of memory? Crossfire Ready?

I know crossfire need Two of the same video card and those video card have to support crossfire yess.. i know but not shure how exactly it works... i planning to get two ati visiontek hd4850 series and crossfire it.. but i need my two question here answer frist before i make that choice.. i dont wanna buy and waste my time and money... and the spec of my computer right now is "Am2+ motherboard, with 3600HT, and 2GB memory of 1066 DDR2, my cpu is Amd Quad spider 2.3Ghz hmm.. not shure of the model number i forgot ahah, 700W psu Thermaltake with modeling wire... it says it support Nvidia SLI ONLY and yes it has enough power to support two video card, hmm.. thats about it... i would be thanxful if anyone can help me out with these question thanx u very mouch...

Geoff

VIP Member
No to both questions, you don't need a "Crossfire Ready" PSU, you just need to be sure that it is powerful enough to handle the cards you will be using. Usually when a PSU says SLI/CF/Dual-GPU-ready, it's referring to that it has enough PCI-E power cables for dual video cards, not necessarily that it's powerful enough for dual GTX 280's for instance.

@ StrangleHold, "supports nVidia SLI Only" was in reference to the PSU, not the motherboard. I don't see how a PSU can be only for a certain make of video card, it should work, but could you provide a link to that PSU?

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

The crossfire ready gimmik is a sales pitch.

ATI pays, and they put crossfire ready

You dont need an CF PSU (as long as the PSU has enough power)
You dont need a CF RAM

Your motherboard needs to support crossfire (for best performance, it should be PCI-E 2.0 x 2, but 2x16 is good)

And not only the two cards, you need the crossfire connect bridge to connect the 2 cards.

Last edited:

some1

okay the web to my psu is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153039 ... it says SLI ready.. so does that mean i can do crossfire or NO.. or does it ONLY support Nvidia SLI and not ATI crossfire... i dont know im realli confuse... and about the memory i guess it doesnt matter.... well my memory is dual channel and its 2GB so i think its all good..

-- okay about my motherboard its http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131224 ... thats my motherboard... well does it support dual graphic card.. or CROSSfire.. it says it does so yeah i think... not shure.. and is it express 16x 2.0 or just 16x ... well yeah get back at me friend... i need all answer ASAP thanx you very much...

StrangleHold

Staff member
[-0MEGA-];1021238 said:
@ StrangleHold, "supports nVidia SLI Only" was in reference to the PSU, not the motherboard. I don't see how a PSU can be only for a certain make of video card, it should work, but could you provide a link to that PSU?

Your right, my fault! The SLI/Crossfire is just a sales prop. A long as it has enoughy watts and amps, it will work. Most cards even supply the adaptor incase you dont have the 6/8 pin connector.

Computer_Freak

The crossfire ready gimmik is a sales pitch.

The manufacturer pays ATI and NVidia so that ppl see its this certified, lemme get it, but it is just the amount of money they paying NVidia or ATI

You dont need an CF PSU (as long as the PSU has enough power)
You dont need a CF RAM

read what i said

Its a sales gimmik

it does not mean that you can use CF on a SLI PSU

or Vice versa

The only thing of CF and SLI that cannot mix are the cards, and the motherboards

the mobo is good, just get two 4870s or 4850s and you have a gaming machine of note on your hands

some1

alright after reading all this i understand and it help me alot.. thanx u... well 4850 here i come... CF time ehhe thanx.. everyone..

A crossfire (also known as "interlocking fire") is a military term for the siting of weapons (often automatic weapons such as machine guns) so that their arcs of fire overlap. This tactic came to prominence in World War I.

that was so interesting i forgot to breath even though i normally don't need to think about breathing so that was odd