attaching mobo to case?

AusLinda

when i put these screws on the case to lift the mobo off my cm scout case, i went to screw the mobo on and relised that if i tighen it it might scatch the motherboard, and i wasn't given any of the circle things i was just wondering if i do tigthen if would it damage the mobo? or would anything happen if i screw it the mobo is held on with the screw a lil loose(not to loose like moving but holding on but not to hard?

or is there meant to be a protector or something hope you understand what i mean

edit: also find it hard to place the the back protectors for the: ps2 slots, usb, clr cmos button. is it meant to be place from inside or from outside? (no picture in booklet)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Most motherboards have sufficient space around the screw holes so nothing that's scratched is vital. As long as the foil runs and all capacitors/chips/etc are clear, you should be just fine.

Jamin43

banned
when i put these screws on the case to lift the mobo off my cm scout case, i went to screw the mobo on and relised that if i tighen it it might scatch the motherboard, and i wasn't given any of the circle things i was just wondering if i do tigthen if would it damage the mobo?

Circle things - as in washers? No you don't need washers to hold your screws to motherboard. You don't need to torque it real tight - just snug works fine. Brass is a soft metal - you arent' trying to put a car together.

You only need to install Inserts into the case holes that line up with the marked screw holes in your motherboard.

edit: also find it hard to place the the back protectors for the: ps2 slots, usb, clr cmos button. is it meant to be place from inside or from outside? (no picture in booklet)

The " back protector " should pop out into the case. It's snugged in there - you just pop out the one that comes with the case - and replace it with the one that comes with your motherboard.

Here's a Build a PC guide with good pictures and descriptions to walk ya through things.

AusLinda

Circle things - as in washers? No you don't need washers to hold your screws to motherboard. You don't need to torque it real tight - just snug works fine. Brass is a soft metal - you arent' trying to put a car together.

You only need to install Inserts into the case holes that line up with the marked screw holes in your motherboard.

The " back protector " should pop out into the case. It's snugged in there - you just pop out the one that comes with the case - and replace it with the one that comes with your motherboard.

Here's a Build a PC guide with good pictures and descriptions to walk ya through things.

Thanks for explaining, sorry didn't read it in time when i needed the help i managed to install everything took me a good 3 hours (includeing 1 hour break) to fit everything. Was a challenge but just installing my win xp 64b until i get my win 7 ult 32/64b for $92 AUS dollar. Fromm a wholesale at china.

Drenlin

It could actually harm your computer to put washers there. If you'll look, most motherboards have electrical contacts there that touch the screw, which grounds it to the case.