Audio and Microphone Jacks wont work after my PC got fried

Filter

Ok, I was removing and old video card from my computer, and I didn't know I still had some static in my body (I had touched ground first), and basically my computer shutdown and wouldn't start up.

After investigation I found out that a little red button needed to be moved, so I moved it back and my computer turned on.

Now my computer runs great like it did before, and all of the USB ports, firewire ports, and all of the other ones work besides the Audio Jacks and Microphone jacks (2 audio jacks, one in front, one in back, microphone jack is in the front).

When I plug the audio jack into my monitor (monitor has built in speakers) and then into the jack on my computer, it makes this high frequency sound and I can't hear any audio. When I plug my actual speakers into my computers audio jack, and then turn them on, there is nothing, and I can't hear audio.

Does anyone know why? Thanks.

cRABu

check the drivers. reinstall them. What sound card are you using an onboard one? Next time shut of the pc when taking out a card.

Filter

Last edited:

cRABu

you might have discharged the static energy into the soundcard(if you discharged anything/allthoug this might not be the case). try to enable/disable the drivers from bios. and reinstall drivers. check device manager to se if windows finds some errors.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Make sure your front wires are correctly connected too...

You might need to reconfigure sound options in the CMOS too (?)

Filter

How and what is reconfiguring my CMOS?

I went into my BIOS, selected enable instead of automatic, booted up, installed the latest drivers, and still no sound. There is a device called Realtek Digital Output, and it shows the volume (like it goes up when sound is playing on the computer, if I watch a video for example, but I can't hear it).

Argh.