Audio and video stuttering - why?

I've noticed that my desktop PC stutters in audio and video after about 12 hours or so. Temps are between 30-40 degrees Celsius. I don't understand what could cause the problem. Sometimes it even stops dead in its tracks for a few seconds. Does it overheat?

CPU utilization jumps up to 8-10% sometimes. But this is when it's idle.

EDIT: Opening a new tab can cause the CPU usage to jump up to 50-60%.

Attachments

• x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 4

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Are you using Chrome? Chrome is known to be a memory hog so it's good to close it every now and again.

JLuchinski

What other programs do you have running in the background? My CPU also jumps to 40ish percent when opening tabs. As for the stuttering that could be a number of things, PSU, memory, hard drive. Are you running Windows 7? Is your system full of dust?

I use Chrome, I dust out my system regularly, the PSU is crap (see in my sig), see HDD below.

AIMP, Magic: the Gathering Online, Chrome are the most used programs.

I am using Windows 7 because Windows 10 doesn't like my wifi adapter - it disconnects me every 2 minutes, and I don't understand why. The driver was installed properly. I just feel like my rig is old to be supported properly.

JLuchinski

Are all of your drivers up to date? Have you defragged your hard drive recently? Does it only start to stutter while doing specific tasks after a certain period of time or does it do while doing simple things?

Okedokey

Nothing to indicate resource or power issues.

Update your gpu driver, motherboard bios and chipset drivers.

The device: ASUS USB-N13 300MBps 11n Wireless USB dongle
Drivers have been installed from the CD, works like a charm under Windows 7. Doesn't work under Windows 10.
HDD have been defragged recently, although it needed only 9% to fix. It stutters when a video is playing, and I'm trying to launch an application or open another tab.
Will look for the other drivers.

Deadpool

^That. They are almost always old. Unless you are installing your Wifi adapter drivers (not required in W8 or 10), to install the rest of your drivers, do not use that.

mistersprinkles

^That. They are almost always old. Unless you are installing your Wifi adapter drivers (not required in W8 or 10), to install the rest of your drivers, do not use that.

Not sure what you mean by this?

In almost every case, the proper, latest driver from the mfg/oem is going to be better than the generic driver Microsoft installs for the device (although occasionally the drivers are identical). A good example of the Win driver being inferior and typically behind the times is AMD and Nvidia graphics cards. There are others.

This case is a particularly good example of when NOT to install from the CD, since the CD has win 7 drivers (which will work 99% of the time in win 10 mind you) and almost certainly, a win 10 driver is available online, which would be more compatible with your operating system. If not, the driver Windows assigns automatically is likely to be better (assuming you are in Win 10) than the out-of-date Win 7 driver.

Having said that, wifi sucks, especially for gaming, and you should always run a wired connection to any gaming PC, even if you have to drill a hole in your ceiling and run a 60FT cable. JM2C.

Deadpool

I meant like Wifi cards and USB adapters. In my case I use a Pcie adapter and on Win7 I had to install the drivers from an USB or CD to get it working, and then install the rest of them.