Audio converter? Mp4 to wav

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jjohnston7, Jan 3, 2019.

1. jjohnston7

jjohnston7 Member

I'm looking for a way to convert an mp4 audio file to wav. Free would be preferable. I tried free:ac but it stops a third of the way in. It's a huge file, about 10.5 hours long.

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Why specifically wav?

3. jjohnston7

jjohnston7 Member

I need to use Audacity to split the track apart, and make some edits to it, and audacity only works with WAV and AIF I think.

4. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

5. jjohnston7

jjohnston7 Member

OH, I'll have to try FLAC. not sure I want to do MP3. I would prefer to retain as much of the quality as I can.

6. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any video editing software that lets you export/encode it as an audio only file. I feel like even old school Movie Maker had that ability but it's been a while since I touched Audacity and video editing.

7. UnholyVision

UnholyVision Active Member

Have you already ripped it? Because ffmpeg is amazing for what you're looking to do. All you need to do is run.

ffmpeg -i name.mp4 -vn -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 name_audio_output.wav

If your video contains multiple audio tracks you can even pinpoint which one you want to extract.

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 <-- Find the audio source in the output. Then just run the command above, but with -map and the number listed for the audio track. For example, the 0:0 would be the listed number of audio.

ffmpeg -i name.mkv -map 0:0 -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 name_audio_output.wav
    ----

FFMpeg is quiet amazing, it can extract audio, video clips, record your desktop, window capture, capture from or extract audio from a browser, extract subtitles, et cetera.