Audio device not recognised/DirectSound error

Gediminas

Hello, I didn't want to create a thread of my own for a problem so widely disputed in the internet, but now I am left with no other choise, because I have simply tried everything else and still - no sound.

It all started about a week ago - I bought a new 7600GT graphic card and had some problems with it, while I find soutable drivers. Finnaly, I fix it, but then - no sound. Anywhere.

Simply, when I go to the control panel/sounds and audio devices, it says - no sound device and everything is grayed out.

In Winamp, I get this error:

Nullsoft DirectSound Outpt v2.49 (d) error

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078

I tried:

-the thing with services.msc thing, with the Windows audio tweaking
-all kinds of drivers
-looking for solution in BIOS
-reinstalling Windows XP SP 3
-many other things, that I found on the internet, but now don't remember

I have a Asrock Prescott 800 P4i65G motherboard, with integrated Cmedia 9761A 5.1 channel audio CODEC sound device, I think (I'm not sure, what is integrated into this model)

I am really tired and just want to have my sound back, but I wouldn't want to buy a sound card, without knowing if the problem isn't somewhere else.

Please, save my last nerve :angry:

Gediminas

What does DXDiag give you?

Also, did you install the drivers from here?

Dxdiag gives me, that there is no sound card and I should contact the manufacturer, if there is.

And I tried these, but the C-media one said, that I don't have their sound card and therefore cannot install the driver. (thus meaning, it does not recognise I have it)

Zatharus

VIP Member
Does the device show up in the Device Manager at all? And, if so, does it have a yellow exclamation point or a red X over it?

Also, do you see any hardware conflicts registered in the device manager?

Gediminas

Does the device show up in the Device Manager at all? And, if so, does it have a yellow exclamation point or a red X over it?

Also, do you see any hardware conflicts registered in the device manager?

I checked for conflicts, there aren't any, and the sound device simply isn't recognised. As if it wasn't there, it's just that it is. I'm leaning towards a conclusion, that the integrated sound device simply ran out of juice, so to say, and I will check that in a matter of days, by trying out a sound card, just to check if it will work.

Zatharus

VIP Member
So, how does the device appear in the Device Manager? Disabled with a red X?

You can completely uninstall it (right click> uninstall device) and then try the drivers again.