Audio Dilemma

z3r0

Ok, this is literally how it all went down. I unplugged my laptop from its usual station and moved it over to the dining room table so my wife can listen to music. It was playing just fine before I shut down the system. Now it doesn't.

It doesn't even recognize there is any audio device installed. System restore failed and the speakers are lit up so I know they are functioning.

Anybody know what's going on?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in device manager to see if the driver is still installed or if there is an issue with the driver.

z3r0

The device manager says that the driver is working properly, but it isn't. So I disabled then enabled it. No go. Uninstalled and reinstalled it. No go. The system troubleshooter fails to save the changes at the end of execution as well...so, not sure if the problem is rooted deeper than just the audio driver.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say sound on motherboard went out. Not much you can do if system restore is not working. You can try installing fresh on a blank hard drive to test.

z3r0

Reformatted the HDD and re-installed a fresh copy of Win7. Fixed the problem. How strange...