Audio drivers

bit4bit

New Member
I'm now having problems with the audio drivers. Basically after getting windows working, I ran the motherboard CD, and did an "express install" of all the chipset drivers. It ran through, and at the end the status for each driver was 'installed'. However, I wired up my audio system, and it's not working.

I've installed motherboard drivers before, and usually you get a load of pop-ups saying found new hardware, but that didn't happen.

When I plug the (green) audio cable to the (green) line out port on the motherboard, nothing happens...no pop-ups saying found new hardware...nor if I plug it into any of the other five audio ports. Also, when I go to play a track in WMP it gives an error message saying its unable to play the audio files. I also went to device manager> hardware> Realtek audio devices>properties, and it said that the driver wasns't installed properly, click to re-install. So I did, and it came up un-able to install.

(I can post the exact error messages if necessary)

What on Earth could be wrong? It's a brand new motherboard, which certainly has onboard audio, so why are the drivers not working?

I posted this in the desktop section since it's a new build, and I'm wondering whether I may have forgot to connect something up properly on the motherboard to do with the audio....although, any audio processing is on-board and should be handle exclusively by the motherboard/CPU shouldnt it?

Any ideas? Thanks
 
Take a look in the device manager under the "sound, video, and game controllers" section as well as "other devices" to see if anything is seen there or yellow marked in the sound section. Often drivers go on but are not made active.

If anything is yellow marked right click on the item and choose the update driver option to browse the audio drivers folder on the original disk. The other option is to see all software/drivers removed and download an update direct from the board manufacturer's support site.
 
Hi, PC_eye, thanks for the reply. I have the yellow exclamation mark as shown below in audio drivers, along with the window when I right click and go to properties (both tabs):

error1ya6.jpg

error2oo0.jpg



When I just right click, and go to update driver, I can hear the Hard drive searching as if the computer is doing something, but then nothing happens. When I go to update driver in the properties menu (second image) it's the same again. When I go to re-install driver on the first tab, that was where I was getting the error message before, but now when I click it nothing happens (So sorry, I can't post the message up now cause I can't access or remember it) - baring in mind my motherboard CD is in all the time I am trying this.

Also (may be of some help) when I tried to load up a game, it starts loading, then the motherboard lets off a beep, and it cuts off. I'm sure this is down to the audio problem again. (I might have even got an error message relating to the audio - can't remember but will try again and see)

Hope that givs you some more info.
 
I'm now having problems with the audio drivers. Basically after getting windows working, I ran the motherboard CD, and did an "express install" of all the chipset drivers. It ran through, and at the end the status for each driver was 'installed'. However, I wired up my audio system, and it's not working.

I've installed motherboard drivers before, and usually you get a load of pop-ups saying found new hardware, but that didn't happen.

When I plug the (green) audio cable to the (green) line out port on the motherboard, nothing happens...no pop-ups saying found new hardware...nor if I plug it into any of the other five audio ports. Also, when I go to play a track in WMP it gives an error message saying its unable to play the audio files. I also went to device manager> hardware> Realtek audio devices>properties, and it said that the driver wasns't installed properly, click to re-install. So I did, and it came up un-able to install.

(I can post the exact error messages if necessary)

What on Earth could be wrong? It's a brand new motherboard, which certainly has onboard audio, so why are the drivers not working?

I posted this in the desktop section since it's a new build, and I'm wondering whether I may have forgot to connect something up properly on the motherboard to do with the audio....although, any audio processing is on-board and should be handle exclusively by the motherboard/CPU shouldnt it?

Any ideas? Thanks

Pop the boards cd back in and instead of express install, pick manual and then pick the audio drivers and install them.
 
Hopefully the audio chip on the board is good. But the yellow mark there shows the drivers not going on fully. I've seen that enough even with Creative cards installed on a few builds where you have to fight to get them to copied fully and made active by either XP or Vista.

Sometimes the manual browse of the cd for the setup.exe will help. But if you still end up getting nowhere try a total removal and go to the board's support site for an update for the next step. What make and model is the new board there?
 
Stranglehold: Thanks, but I have tried that already also to no avail.

PC_eye: This is the motherboard I have just bought. I will try and remove the drivers and install them again manually. If that fails, I will uninstall, and and run setup.exe manuallly. If that fails I'll have to ring Gigabyte tomorrow - damn call lines don't open weekends, when I have time to sort it out.

I would expect this recent motherboard to have decent on board audio, and being Gigabyte, also to be reliable.
 
I think bit4bit will the link posted earlier a little easier to work with then that one.



That link only provides the bus file while the other provides both updates.

 
Well, I tried re-installing every way possible, uninstalling manually, and installing by running the setup.exe file manually...but all with no luck.

I then phoned Gigabyte, where the first guy said "re-install your operating system"...to which I said "no, why should I have to, give me a real answer", the second guy pointed me towards this FAQ, which I followed, and it didn't work, and the third guy asked me which service pack I had installed - Well, originally I had XP pro with SP2, and for some reason, after I repaired my windows installation, It now says I have SP1. (Why the hell it has done this I don't know?!?!?...doesn't that seem odd?). Anyway, I tried to install SP2 (From MS website), and it crashes at this point (Why is nothing easy??):

sp2installerrormr6.jpg


(P.S. I literally left this for about 3-4 hours, to give it some time, and when i got back it was still like this. - baring in mind I have one 250GB hard drive)

To make this whole process even more tedious, I have no direct internet connection to my PC atm, so I'm having to transfer pics and files with my USB stick.

I'll now try the links you have provided, and report back. PC_eye, are you saying the first link is better?

Thanks both for the help.
 
Last edited:
The link I posted there sees the Realtek audio driver/software as well as the MS bus drivers for the board. The other link only has links for the bus driver from various locations. The link with both is in English right at the support page in TW for your model board.

The installation disk you have is apparently an SP1 version explaining why a repair install only sees SP1. Everything now is dependent on SP2. That could be a good part of the problem. You can even go for SP3 now but you need Windows updated.

The method usually after several tries with a stubborn installation for hardware when seeing the yellow marked item I described earlier of right clicking on that and browsing the original disk or folder where an update may be unpacked to. You look for the "inf" or info file and select that for Windows to then start copying the rest of the drivers needed and making them active.

Keep tabs on the device manager anyways even if you eventually find no yellowed out item. That would then point at a bad chip on the board. You may end up needing to either replace the board seeing a clean install of Windows or eventually deciding on an expansion card for sound if you don't anywhere with this.
 
I've just tried installing the drivers downloaded from the gigabyte site that you linked to, and that hasn't worked either. I didn't have the motherboard CD in at the time.

What else can I try?

Here is another error message. From when I try to open a track in WMP:

wmperrorem0.jpg


Oh, and I've also checked that the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS, which it is. There are two options, 1.) auto, and 2.) disabled....and it's auto by default so I just left it.
 
Last edited:
You'll have to ignore the lame remarks by some. The link has both the bus driver for the board and Realtek update while someone else will only post the bus driver alone.

Your mention of not seeing SP2 go on is half the problem since the installers for each most likely have that requirement. You can download the redistributed 266mb service pack even on a second system and burn it to a cd-r for transfer and installation on your new build if needed.

The link here is for the separate full SP2 with it's own installer. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-XP-SP2-RTM.shtml

The bus driver itself should be found along with the other board drivers on the original disk. Make sure everything including drivers for memory and sata controllers go on. also take another look in the device manager to see if the yellow mark is still seen on the item there and reread the support page the tech provided earlier on installation problems.

"2. Please make sure if the “Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio” exist in “Device manager\ System devices”. Please right-click the “My computer” icon on desktop. Select “Properties\ Hardware\ Device Manager. (Please refer to picture 2 as below). If the “UAA Bus Driver” does not exist, please install it from driver CD/ DVD. Please launch “My Computer”, open CD/ DVD drive\ Audio\ MSHDQFE\ Win2K_XP\ US”, to execute kb888111xpsp1.exe (for SP1 system) or kb888111xpsp2.exe (for SP2 system)."
 
Hey there, sorry I havent replied, I've had to put this aside for a few days. Anyways:

Stranglehold: Since my last posting, I've already installed service pack 3, defragged my hard drive, and run a full virus scan of my whole hard drive (Just to be pedantic). Then I've tryed following that FAQ again, uninstalling/re-installing from disk, and from both the files you gave (PC-eyes did contain both). Still with no luck. :confused:

PC-eye: I'll try and follow the guide through again. However, this time I have SP3, so I'll try and execute kb888111xpsp2.exe I suppose. SP" is contained in SP3 anyway isn't it? Also, I'm still seing the yellow exclamation mark, and as far as I know all the other drivers have gone on alright.... the USB is working, and I'm guessing the SATA controllers are working OK, since my hard drive is running normally. How can I check? device manager?

If that doesn't work theres not much else I can do really is there?

Thanks again.
 
I know that this is irrelevant, what exact OS are you using? It does not look like Windows. Getting the sound to work varies from one OS to the other.
 
The one thing that keeps coming to mind is that you are somehow ending up with Vista drivers not XP there. I ran into that at first with the build here when putting XP for a dual boot and the Creative auto updater, MS update site's optional updates, and yes Creative's own goof at the XP selection page saw Vista drivers downloaded.
 
No worries, man. I just got it working (Hoorah!), by following that FAQ again. I guess SP3 did the damage. Thanks for the helpful advice, I appreciate it.
 
Back
Top