Audio Port Suddenly Stopped Working [SOLVED!]

I noticed yesterday that plugged into my case's front audio output port were no longer being detected, the system is still using my monitors built in stereos. At first my headphone jacks weren't fitting in snuggly, so I figured dust may be inside. I cleaned it out with an air compressor can and now the jacks fit fine but still no sound. I tested three different audio devices, all of which are confirmed to be functional. Reinstalled audio drivers and updated them etc. Pulling my hair out, don't know what to do, please help. Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible that the cable going to the motherboard is loose. Other than that, the port on the motherboard could be bad as well.

Try the audio output on the back of the case, there should be a headphone jack connection there
Hardware issues on the front of the case are not unheard of
A long while ago I had a case with totally non functional front USB's after a few months
If you still don't have audio then it's probably software related since it's unlikely both the front and rear audio IO failed at once for hardware reasons

Try the audio output on the back of the case, there should be a headphone jack connection there
Hardware issues on the front of the case are not unheard of
A long while ago I had a case with totally non functional front USB's after a few months
If you still don't have audio then it's probably software related since it's unlikely both the front and rear audio IO failed at once for hardware reasons
The rear one's work I should've mentioned. The front output went out first, then the input went out later. I really need the front ones to work because I don't have easy access to the back.

Any ideas on Realtek HD Audio Manager missing?

Then it is almost certainly a hardware issue on the front
There is a wire that runs from your front audio i/o to the motherboard, either the port or the cable itself is failing
If the port itself is bad (since I think you tested the cable already) then there's not much that can be done, unless you can repair the front port itself and ensure contact is being made between what's inside the port and the jack itself

Then it is almost certainly a hardware issue on the front
There is a wire that runs from your front audio i/o to the motherboard, either the port or the cable itself is failing
If the port itself is bad (since I think you tested the cable already) then there's not much that can be done, unless you can repair the front port itself and ensure contact is being made between what's inside the port and the jack itself
Well, it was software! I found a newer version of Realtek. Following a YouTube video's instructions I nuked the old RealTek folder after uninstalling the software. I then rebooted, reinstalled the newer version, rebooted again. And now the ports work and Realtek HD Audio Manager is even working again!

Thanks you all for your replies anyhow. Listening to music in celebration. :)

Last edited:
Well, it was software! I found a newer version of Realtek. Following a YouTube video's instructions I nuked the old RealTek folder after uninstalling the software. I then rebooted, reinstalled the newer version, rebooted again. And now the ports work and Realtek HD Audio Manager is even working again!

Thanks you all for your replies anyhow. :)
That's good to hear!
Audio issues are a pain, drivers and software for their devices can be quite finicky
I had to jump through hoops just to get a soundcard software working again after some time

That's good to hear!
Audio issues are a pain, drivers and software for their devices can be quite finicky
I had to jump through hoops just to get a soundcard software working again after some time
Thanks. Yeah I think the RealTek drivers got borked after a Windows update. At least I know what to do in the future now.