audio video rca outputs

the50doctor

hey..what laptop or hardware device would allow me to output an application on the laptop into an rca type video output that would go into an external tv/vcr video rca input ? i am mostly concerned with the video output from a laptop. thanks,

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
There are USB and PC-Card capture cards. Just look for them. Most of them only have video input, and you'll need a converter in order to plug audio into your mic/line in jack

the50doctor

The_Other_One said:
There are USB and PC-Card capture cards. Just look for them. Most of them only have video input, and you'll need a converter in order to plug audio into your mic/line in jack

i wanted to output that signal from the laptop into a SECONDARY monitor.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm sorry... I misread. There are devices called Averakey's which allow you to connect a standard VGA connection to it then it converts it to RCA or SVHS. You'd still need one of those audio connections like I mentioned, just for your output.

Now, remember the quality isn't great. Because TV's and CRT/LCD monitors work differently, you will get a black box around the screen and it won't be nearly as sharp.

If you want one for fairly cheap, I have one that I'd sell. Just PM me if your intested... I could also try to get a picture of how it looks on the TV if you'd like.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The_Other_One said:
you will get a black box around the screen and it won't be nearly as sharp.
The overscan option for my ATI AIW did wonders: no black frame at all. And the image quality is pretty good too, just that the max resolution is 800 x 600 pixels on TV-out.

alanuofm

VIP Member
my laptop came with an svideo to rca output. i watch movies on my laptop on my tv. do you have an svideo port on your laptop?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
TV's run at 720x480. Anything higher has to be converted and there's a good bit of quality loss. Plus, as I mentioned, TV's work differently than standard CRT/LCD computer monitors, there for there's more quality loss... Yes, overscan will fix the black box problem a bit, but it still normally leavs some. See, TV's actually are made to have about 25% of the screen out of the viewing area. Ever notice how the picture moves when say some game causes the screen to flash? A TV has a "safe zone" Computer monitors, on the other hand, don't have that much of a problem, however, if you didn't correct this, much of the screen would not show...

Eh, ok, I'm finished ^^;;;

the50doctor

alanuofm said:
my laptop came with an svideo to rca output. i watch movies on my laptop on my tv. do you have an svideo port on your laptop?

nope, trying to find a laptop thats got that s video. thanks,

the50doctor

The_Other_One said:
TV's run at 720x480. Anything higher has to be converted and there's a good bit of quality loss. Plus, as I mentioned, TV's work differently than standard CRT/LCD computer monitors, there for there's more quality loss... Yes, overscan will fix the black box problem a bit, but it still normally leavs some. See, TV's actually are made to have about 25% of the screen out of the viewing area. Ever notice how the picture moves when say some game causes the screen to flash? A TV has a "safe zone" Computer monitors, on the other hand, don't have that much of a problem, however, if you didn't correct this, much of the screen would not show...

Eh, ok, I'm finished ^^;;;

totally lost me on that one!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Sorry ^^; Just realize with a standard TV, you won't get near the quality you have on your monitor. However, to get the best quality, you need to run at a lower resolution. That pic I sent you was at 640x480...

the50doctor

didnt see the picture you sent? wondering what i can do to export a video image from the laptop? im running an engine management program with a cf27 toughbook. it provides the 15 pin monitor output, but no s video connection, and it has display gauges and meters on my laptop, and i wanted to run that monitor output from the laptoip onto/into a flatscreen tv for a car, so i can keep the laptop in the back seat, and use the flat screen as my instrument cluster?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
With the size your talking about, you'd be dumb to use TV-Out because of the quality loss. Seeing as the monitor will be so little, you almost must use a standard VGA style LCD screen or well you won't be able to read what's on the screen. Now if you're useing some large TV, like to play a movie, or where minor details don't matter, one of these averkey's would be fine.

As for the pics, I sent them by PM, but here they are if you didn't get them for some reason.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/theotherone/Aver1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/theotherone/Aver2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/theotherone/AverTV.jpg

The_Other_One

VIP Member
alanuofm said:
yeah i noticed the resolution is terrible. but for some reason when i play avi movies its crystal clear.

Some cards do change the resolutions so it works better with the TV on full screen videos... I've not used my 6800 that much on my TV, but I beleive it does work a bit better than my old Radeon...