Auto CPU fan control

RainDownMyBlues

For some reason my computer isn't adjusting the fan speed on the processor. When I turn it on the Sucker is going at 100% and is loud as hell. It obviously uses the four pin fan connector so what gives?

Also, what temp should I be seeing with a stock cooler? I'm going to buy a new one in two weeks, but I ran out of money due to the holidays.

Thanks.

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ASRock 870 Extreme3 MOBO
Radeon 4870

Bear in mind that this is a fresh build with no over clocking. I'm getting around 45-50C while doing very little, that is with the fan turned down a bit. But even with the fan going full tilt it only stays around 42-45

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Check in your BIOS to see that the AMD Cool N' Quiet is enabled.

Also make sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan pins on the mobo.

And if you're using crap thermal paste, those temps seem normal.

RainDownMyBlues

Cool N' Quiet is Enabled.

Realized in Bios that cpu fan control was set to full speed. But even if I have the target temp to 50C it's going to run the fan pretty hard.

Didn't have any paste around so I just left what was on the stock cooler. I know I need to get a new cooler, but it's going to have to wait two weeks. Guess I'll have to deal with this racket. :(

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Cool N' Quiet is Enabled.

Realized in Bios that cpu fan control was set to full speed. But even if I have the target temp to 50C it's going to run the fan pretty hard.

Didn't have any paste around so I just left what was on the stock cooler. I know I need to get a new cooler, but it's going to have to wait two weeks. Guess I'll have to deal with this racket. :(

Yup. Get some Arctic Silver 5 to put on there when you replace the cooler, and be sure to get the old crap off the CPU.

linkin

VIP Member
Please ignore the above, it is spam.

I would recommend a cheap cooler (CoolerMaster Hyper TX3) and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to replace the stock cooler and thermal paste.