Av software messes up Win 10

dragular

Hi,
I have an Asus X751L laptop that has been running Windows 10 1703 (v15063.483) for a while now with no problems then one day I turned it on and it kept freezing on the desktop, cut a long story short it was Avast free, so I uninstalled it and installed AVG free, the same thing happened.

With Avast or AVG installed the desktop loads very slowly, you cannot open any program at all and if you click on the Avast or AVG icon I get a message saying this program cannot open, like a fool I didnt note down the exact message.......

So I uninstalled AVG and enabled Windows Defender and the PC runs fine, but I would prefer to have either Avast or AVG running.

I used the Avast and AVG uninstall tools to remove both AV's completely

Any suggestions?
Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it does it with both and uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help then it's something with windows. You might want to do a fresh install. Was the original OS windows 10 or 7 or 8?

dragular

Yes that's what I'm thinking, but I'm really trying to avoid reinstalling everything.
It was originally Windows 8 that was upgraded to 10 two years ago, but I only did a fresh install of 10 just 3 months ago so really trying to avoid that hassle again

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea at this point. The only other thing I can suggest is to use revo uninstaller to fully remove both programs. Maybe there is something that wasn't deleted that is causing the issue.

aldan

what john said plus make sure that windows defender is indeed turned off.seen a few incidences of defender continuing to run even when another av was installed.

WeatherMan

Try checking the event logs for any issues that could lead to the freezing issue, does this also happen in safe mode?

Also you could try re installing, removing it from startup and seeing if there are still freezes, see if it freezes when you manually start it up

dragular

it doesnt happen in safe mode as the AV isnt automatically loaded, I could boot into safe mode OK and thats how I ran the uninstaller tools.

I didnt try disabling in normal mode and starting manually, might be worth a go....