Avast Free Antivirus alert...

fmonte

I want my PC to operate at top performance so I need advice from the forum as to what to do when I get this pop-up. Do I have to act on this alert. I don't know a lot about virus software but I thought; it works in the background and I don't have to do anything with it for it provide virus protection. If I click the resolve button the next screen tells me I have 19 performance issues. If I click on the resolve button it asks me to pay a license fee. I wanted to protect my computer and run at top performance for free. Is that not possible. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Avast anti virus scan.JPG
upload_2018-9-23_13-3-8.png
upload_2018-9-23_13-4-47.png

aldan

they are just trying to sell you their cleanup program.ccleaner or privazer are two free cleanup programs.under your core shields just make sure you have the file,behaviour,and web shields checked.avast is a very good av but it bugs you to buy its other products.ive gotten used to it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should have done a custom install and you won't get bombarded with so many popups. Now what you need to do is is go into progams and features, highlight Avast and click on change. Then uncheck everything but file shield, web shield and behavior shield. Then click next and let it remove all those extra files. For a one stop program that will do everything, I'm not sure what that would be especially if you want it for free.

fmonte

Thanks John and Aldan. I will go into programs/features and make the changes but now I would like to ask; Can I correct those 19 performance issues on my own without signing up for their paid version?

Darren

Staff member
Thanks John and Aldan. I will go into programs/features and make the changes but now I would like to ask; Can I correct those 19 performance issues on my own without signing up for their paid version?

Pretty much anything that's slightly off, just a property or moved registry key, can show up as a "problem". It's more trying to scare you, Windows does a great job of keeping itself clean and usually system cleaners don't do much good. CCleaner is alright but unless you're trying to fix something specific or have a lot of temp files it's not necessary. I wouldn't worry about it.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah, you can drive your self batty trying to run down every error and problem a "windows optimizer" might come up with.
Always fun running one of those on a clean install and seeing the 75 URGENT PROBLEMS from a fresh install that just booted for the first time.

Agent Smith

FWIW, in addition to Ccleaner, run SystemNinja. I can almost guarantee it will find more temp files to get rid of. Also, don't use Ccleaner's registry cleaner. That's mostly snake oil and you could end up with issues if Ccleaner deletes the wrong registry keys.