• Avast

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • other free antivirus software

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

maroon1

Avast or AVG? [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]

hello everyone

i want to know which one is better for virus protection?
please don't say the AVG is better because u use it or vice versa
Iam not asking which one do u use? iam asking whose better for security and which one use the least resources.

iam currently using avast home, and i never had problems with it, but most people here in this forum use AVG? so why is that? is it better than avast?
[/FONT]

cell4me

banned
I dont use either but I have used them both in the past and I remember reading test results and they are about the same. One of them picks up a few more trojans and the other picks up a few more viruses but the difference was not that great. I will try to find the results and post a link.

Edit: Here is link to a antivirus test from a non bias company!
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report07.pdf

Total detection rates (including DOS and other OS)

Avast 91.06%
AVG 87.44%

So the answer to your question of what one has the higher detection rate would be Avast!

Last edited:

Dr Studly

banned
hmm... Nod32 is the fastest... idk what it is comparred tho... but Nod32 definatly uses the least resources...

kobaj

VIP Member
I tried AVG for a while but it slowed my pc way down. So now I have Avast. I wish norton still worked on my pc though.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Avast is probably the better of the two but it requires you to reregister too often. Either is probably good enough unless you are download happy on less then legit sites.

Invisible Man

I being using avast on 4 of my pc and so far it doing o.k. but I will put avg on one of my pc and see how that is. If u like something simple use avast. Just install and register it with the code they send u and the rest is history.

youtin

I think Avast is just a free trial, but im not sure.

Avast! Is not just a free trial. This is what it says on the official website:

avast! 4 Home Edition work 60 days after installation in demo mode. You will obtain FREE license key by E-mail after the registration. The license key is valid for 1 year. After one year you need to just re-register.

Easy. It's free, no strings attached! It's not a resource hog, the virus definitions are updated frequently, and the on-access scanner has saved my butt a number of times from trojans and viruses. AVG had problems updating in my home computer, but I've never had problems with avast! So I'm sticking with it ;)

And the skins beats AVG's too :)

Last edited:

Le GoogelGuRu

I've been using AVG for a long time now and I have no problems with it. I have tried some other antivirus programs but I think AVG free beats them all, including Avast. IMO.

PaulAnthony2233

For me, it's Avast!, i use AVG before and i have problems using it, but now i switched to avast! Home Edition and it's free, it detects more viruses and it has a high level of real-time scanning!!! and it's also skinnable!!!Avast! is the best!!!

Dropkickmurphys

AVG for me Avast p*ssed me off "WARNING YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER" grrrr, theres probably away to turn that off..but nvm...

youtin

Dropkickmurphys said:
AVG for me Avast p*ssed me off "WARNING YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER" grrrr, theres probably away to turn that off..but nvm...

What are you so pissed of about? I'd be happy if my antivirus detected a virus in my computer, at least it's doing its job. Maybe you do have a virus.

kharmini91

I've used AVG on all of my computers and its worked great for me. Takes up minimal RAM and is non-hassle (updates regularly on its own). Very compatible with SP2's Security Center as well.

The key really is just not to do stupid stuff online. I guarantee you that your chances of getting a virus are very slim if you
  1. Don't download from "Serialz" sites, 90% of that = trojans.
  2. If you are going to P2P (I'm not advocating it) then use Bitzi to check the hash calc of what you're about to download. Make sure it's what you want.
  3. Use Mozilla Firefox? I guess thats a given
  4. Stay up-to-date with Windows Update, I mean im no Microsoft supporter but it makes sense to me..

I'm no expert and I don't pretend to be, but that's just my opinion.