AVG Scheduled Scan question.

kal2509

I have a question about the free AVG virus guard. I am using that along with the Windows Vista firewall. I am thinking that will be enough. I really don't want to pay for an Anti-Virus.

Back to my question, if i have a scan scheduled at Noon do i have to leave my laptop on while i am at work. Or will it automatically start up? will it wake up from sleep or hibernate?

:confused:

kal2509

is there anyway to have it wake up the computer? or would it be alright to just leave my laptop on all night?

Concept-V

is there anyway to have it wake up the computer? or would it be alright to just leave my laptop on all night?

In the scan settings, you can choose to have the computer turned off after the scan is complete. That way you can just run the scan, before going to bed, and it will turn off by itself. Leaving it on all night wastes energy and puts uneeded strain on your computer.

lawson_jl

I want to throw out an idea that Carey Holzman brought up on Computer America. If your anti virus is scanning all the files coming into your computer and all files as they run why does it need to do a daily scan of all files? The more I think about this the more I find it to be true. If your an astute user and you will be perfectly fine without a daily scan. You may want to run one weekly or monthly just to double check.

TFT

VIP Member
I want to throw out an idea that Carey Holzman brought up on Computer America. If your anti virus is scanning all the files coming into your computer and all files as they run why does it need to do a daily scan of all files? The more I think about this the more I find it to be true. If your an astute user and you will be perfectly fine without a daily scan. You may want to run one weekly or monthly just to double check.

Like you I run a scan only about once a month as my security suite has realtime scanning of all files and downloads. AVG free for instance does not have "Web Shield", "Anti-Rootkit" and other protection so a more regular full scan would be advisable.
Anyone who has a "cutdown" free version would be advised to scan more regularly.