Awesome harddrive, no?

Skytbest

I don't believe there is anything faster than 10,000 rpms right now, but hook two of those up in a Raid 0 configuration and they'll be twice as fast.

fmw

That's the speed limit currently for SATA. There are some iSCSI drives that are faster.

bomberboysk

Yes there is a faster harddrive,the velociraptor, plust hat drve is recertified so you have higher likelyhood of problems...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

But the fastest drives at the moment are solid state discs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167014

Weird. A 3.0 Gb/s Raptor

I thought only the VelociRaptors were 3.0
The first generation Raptors that were ~30ish GB were 1.5, the last raptors were 3.0 as are the velociraptors.

Zatharus

VIP Member
I don't believe there is anything faster than 10,000 rpms right now, but hook two of those up in a Raid 0 configuration and they'll be twice as fast.

Yes, you can get 15,000+ RPM SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drives.

As for twice as fast, that will depend heavily on your RAID controller, and you won't get twice the R/W speed. You may get close.

zombine210

yeah, i wouldn't trust a 'rebuilt' hard drive. either it comes out flawless from the line, or it's not gonna cut it.

bomberboysk

yeah, i wouldn't trust a 'rebuilt' hard drive. either it comes out flawless from the line, or it's not gonna cut it.

have you ever had to rma a hard drive with seagate? They are all refurbished hard drives, my refurb 500gb barracuda i got back from seagate when i rma'ed my drive works flawlessly. But the only thing good abut the original raptors is the seek time, as transfer rates are faster on the newer 7200rpm hard drives like the 7200.11 barracuda line and the western digital caviar black line of hard drives.

Springy182

Proabably hard drives sent in to western digital under an rma that tested "working", or drives that were almost totally rebuilt would be my guess.

Recertified/refurbished could mean several things.

1. Returned as "defective" and tested to ensure it works

2. A drive that's sent in as dead is tested and parts are replaced as needed (For example if the PCB's blown they'll replace the PCB, perfectly good platters)

3. A drive that's sent in as dead and it's a software error and the user returns it thinking the drive is dead

Russian777