Back to College Soon Anyone in Either of these Fields

Lanther

My plant here is shutting down soon and I will be going back to college. I am either going back in Network Securities or Computer Science (programming) any thoughts to which is a better field. I am pretty good at comp maintenance but havent had much exp in either of the other fields. Thanks for any input.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you're a hands-on kinda guy, Network Securities would probably be a good field for you as you will just have to "deal with stuff" and it will be very much a "maintainance"-type field. Now on the otherhand, if you like making stuff, CS is the route for you.

Typically Network Securities will be more of an "engineering" type program while CS is more of "math" program. Both are hard programs (while you're in them) and both lead to good jobs.

Personally, I'm in Software Engineering and it's not a lot of fun (becuase of the workload) but it's a good field and will take me somewhere (it better! ... 7 courses a term, 6 years, no girls .... wtf... i better get a good job heehee).

I would suggest you look up the courses that make up each program and sit in on some of the classes to get a feel for each. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda hard to say (i'm still in school, 2nd year) but initially I'd say comparable; in the long run i think Developers might make more but after a certain amount per year, it's kinda a moot point :)