Back Up files.

Elidicious

I've never done any computer back up in my life.
I've stored my info in the D:/ archive partition and everytime I reformatted windows, the documents would be there[which is great!]

I think I need to have some guides on how to do the back up?
Where to store it?
Where do I find it after I reformat windows?

I could also google about it but I don't have time now ... so I'd like to know if there's any good website that explains it clearly...or maybe you could try to explain how to do it? :rolleyes:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
To be honest I hate doing JUST the backup of my data because on that way you cannot backup an OS,any installed programs,games,settings from the OS,programs and games and so on...Also if you ever decide to buy the new computer,you would have to inststall and adjust EVERYTHING again---> OS,programs,games,programming languages (if you use them of course) blablablabla....and a lot more...

So my advice to you is to rather do a clean install of Windows,install and adjust EVERYTHING just the way you like it and then copy the entire HDD to some other HDD such as USB HDD.On that way if anything bad happens to your computer,you KNOW that you did not lose any single byte.:D And you ALSO KNOW that you do not need to install or adjust anything.And that saves a LOT of time.A LOT...plus a lot of headaches and nerves hehehe:D

Anyway if you are interested,I can connect to your computer with the Team Viewer and show you how to do the following things:

-How to clone/copy the entire HDD to another HDD such as USB HDD!
-How to clone/copy the cloned/copied HDD back to your HDD inside of your computer!
-How to clone/copy the cloned/copied HDD to the HDD in the totally different computer wether if it's older or newer and make everything work like charm without losing time to install all over again manually!

NOTE 1: First 2 things work for ALL versions of the Microsoft Windows. - TESTED:D
NOTE 2: The third thing also works for ALL versions of the Microsoft Windows starting from the Windows 2000 Professional all the way to the Windows 7. - TESTED:D However I did not test this third thing on the Microsoft Windows Millennium and older Microsoft Windows versions...,but I am sure nobody here uses these retired operating systems so I don't think it's that important.:D

NOTE for the Team Viewer: Team Viewer is nothing dangerous.Its a small program that lets me connect to your computer.You will be able to see on your screen monitor everything what I am doing and you can talk to me using text editors like NOTEPAD or WORDPAD in the same time.So you will SEE what I am doing on your computer and therefore there is no reason to worry about anything.You can also abort the connection at any time.

Anyway you think about this and let me know.My hotmail address is: [email protected]

Cheers!

Elidicious

@STARs - I could also buy another external HDD and make a copy-paste of my D:/ partition.
actually...i'm not interested in copying the installed program. i'm more interested in copying the 'set up' of these programs and every other documents i have on my current HDD.

you've got mail.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
@STARs - I could also buy another external HDD and make a copy-paste of my D:/ partition.
actually...i'm not interested in copying the installed program. i'm more interested in copying the 'set up' of these programs and every other documents i have on my current HDD.

you've got mail.

So you actually just want to backup the certain files,installers and so on?

whs

@whs - I don't work on windows 7. i'm on XP. is there a difference?

It works on XP just as well. But what you are trying to do with Copy/Paste is not going to work. You have to do that properly with an imaging program. Macrium is only one example - but the easiest to use and for free. Other options are Norton Ghost, Acronis, Paragon, etc. They all have their pros and cons, but Macrium does the job. Follow my little tutorial and you will be in business. If you want to schedule for automatic imaging, read chapter2 of this PDF which you have to download: http://cid-475a0a48ca6d4035.skydriv...torial/Macrium.zip?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=598898470

Elidicious

what i'm trying to do is just pass the information from my Hard Disk to another one , just like you pass the information from you computer to an USB.
We don't need imaging when using a simple USB, do we?

Yes, I want to pass certain files, installers and so on.
Maybe I don't have the right concept of 'back up'. I'm just trying to save my information outside/inside the computer ... whatever I cold be.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Well if you want,I can make you a small program which will be copying the data from one location to another.All you have to do is to write the SOURCE and DESTINATION location for the first time and then just click the button that says "BACKUP NOW!".For example:

SOURCE: "C:\My data\"
DESTINATION: "C:\Backup\"

I can also make you that the program does this automatically every hour without requesting you to do anything manually.
Think about it and let me know.

Cheers!

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Of course you dont need an external HDD for that program.You can use it to copy your data from ANY location to ANY location.Wether if it's the same HDD or the USB stick or the USB HDD.:D

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I made you small program with which you can backup files from any location to any location,except internet:D
You also have an option to let program to do the backup every hour automatically without doing anything manually!
Here is the link to download it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r01qs0

Scroll down and click the big DOWNLOAD button.After you have downloaded it,extract it using programs such as "7-zip" and after you have extracted it,open the folder called "Backup program" and then open the file called "Backup program.exe".

NOTE 1: While the backup is in progress,you will see the black console window.DO NOT TURN IT OFF!!!After that black console window closes,that means that the backup progress is complete.

NOTE 2: If the program won't work,you probably need to install the Microsoft .NET framework version 1.0 or newer version!You can get the Microsoft .NET framework version 1.0 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-A83F-4E21-B05A-009D06457787&displaylang=en

Just install it,restart your computer and thats it!

Enjoy!

Last edited: