Backing up computer?

EINREB

Is there any way of backing up a computer without using a dedicated backup program? Those programs want always be as versatile as possible, which result in too many choices and input parameters. I have never been able to use any one of them in a straight forward manner. I like something were you copy the essential files that really control a standard computer, like the OS and its supporting Files, Documents, Downloads, etc. and write it on a USB drive of sufficient size. In the past, backup programs had room restrictions and tried to save space by compressing the data, something that is not needed anymore since USB HDs come in TBs with oogles of room. So I like to just plain copy the required files without any tricks, which simplify things. The question is, which files actually run a computer and which would be necessary to copy and reloaded to be able to run it after a disastrous failure? (Like a HD or software failure)
Any suggestions anyone? Remember, no "if's" in the procedure!

Agent Smith

Here's what I use and recommend. I use AOMEI Backupper which is a straight forward cloning program. Buy yourself an USB external hard drive. Plug it into the computer. Fire up AOMEI. Chose the source as your computer, chose the destination as your external hard drive. Skip sector by sector, you don't need that. Use align partition if you have a SSD installed. Click clone and when it finishes you'll have a 1 to 1 copy of your entire computer.

If your computer goes south you can boot your computer with AOMEI's PE that you can write to a USB stick. Then plug in your external drive and clone back to your computer. It's not hard at all. I store my external hard drives in a fireproof safe.