backing up to terastation?

TechRookie

Hello!

ok the problem is basically this:

I have a Buffalo Terastation 2 (1TB) set up with RAID 5. There are 4 x 250GB drives in it, and the RAID setup enables a total of 600GB of space. I'm trying backup data from the Terastation to a Western Digital MyBook 1TB, with 2 500gb hard drives, set up with RAID 1. Im using USB 2.0, but I could also use Firewire, however I dont think that will make a difference.

The problem lies when i try to back up. The Terastation recognises the WD drive, but doesnt read the available space, and wont format the WD.
I think this is because the WD is basically saying that its a single hard drive (whereas there are actually 2 disks), and the terastation is reading 2 disks and getting confused.
Would this be a right guess? Does anyone have any advice regarding this please? At the moment I am Transferring stuff to my PC from the Terastation, then to the WD from the PC. Its not a long process, but because the Terastation is a shared drive, as more people start using it, its just going to be a hassle to do it mauallly. thats why i would like to set up an automatic backup!

I hope someone can help me!

thanks!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If I had to guess I would say that the WD drives are formatted in a nonsupported filesystem. I don't know what OS the Terastation is running but if it is not Windows based then it may not support NTFS out of the box.

TechRookie

yeah that was what i thought too. the terastation is using Linux, it isnt windows based. and i dont want to format the WD to the same filesystem, because then i wont be able to use the WD as an external hard drive in the future.

ah well, no problem, ill have to get another terastation, at least that should work! thanks for replying though, i appriciate it.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can probably load an NTFS mod to let the Terastation read/write to the WD drives or you can format them to FAT32 (unless you have single files that are >4GB then FAT is out)

TechRookie

update:

I tried all the suggestions given above, the terastation wasnt having any of it. because its all for work, the WD is now sold, and another terastation for backing up should be on the way soon!