Backplates essential?

fjjbnjn

Found a motherboard that fits my needs, but it doesn't come with a backplate. Is it essential that I have one, what should I be worried about if I don't have one?

_Pete_

If you mean this bit then I don't think it matters. I have built loads of computers and not used this bit mainly beacause I kept the same case and upgraded the innards and the backplate is always different to the plug and socket layouts.ga-ma785gmt-02.jpg I think it makes the back look prettier and stops anyone from poking stuff in other than thaat I don't think it does anything it's, usually, too flimsy to actually support anything.

Darren

Staff member
Running without a backplate increases the risk of the board shorting against the case. Honestly as long as the board is well seated and screwed down it should be okay. Jut take care when using the plugs in the back. Might check eBay for an I/O panel for that motherboard.

_Pete_

Running without a backplate increases the risk of the board shorting against the case. Honestly as long as the board is well seated and screwed down it should be okay. Jut take care when using the plugs in the back. Might check eBay for an I/O panel for that motherboard.

Personally I would have thought that there would be a much greater chance of the board shorting to the case if a backplat is used. The backplate is metal and is attached to the case. The thickness of the plate would bring any components that might short closer to a place where they could short. But that is only my opinion.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Personally I would have thought that there would be a much greater chance of the board shorting to the case if a backplat is used. The backplate is metal and is attached to the case. The thickness of the plate would bring any components that might short closer to a place where they could short. But that is only my opinion.

The Rear I/O panel is for EMI shielding for the most part. The panel may be made out of a metallic material, but is properly grounded with the case itself so it will not cause increase risk of shorting out.

Laquer Head

Yes, thats why they are always included with a new motherboard from the manufacturer. It's all a conspiracy to get people to use the I/O shield, short out their board, get the runaround during RMA process, and then eventually a new board is purchased out of pure frustration.

beers

Staff member
You can run the system without one. Some people aren't careful and let prongs short out their USB/NIC/HDMI/etc.

Otherwise it just provides additional grounding and physical protection (ie shit going in the hole) in most cases.

mistersprinkles

It's an i/o shield, not a back plate. Back plates are what some mfg's put on the back of video cards. No motherboard comes with a back plate.

If you mean this bit then I don't think it matters. I have built loads of computers and not used this bit mainly beacause I kept the same case and upgraded the innards and the backplate is always different to the plug and socket layouts.View attachment 7795 I think it makes the back look prettier and stops anyone from poking stuff in other than thaat I don't think it does anything it's, usually, too flimsy to actually support anything.

Yes. Because I/O shields are not removable and who needs to ground the motherboard? That would just be stupid.
Methinks you need to stop giving "advice"

StrangleHold

Staff member
You don't really need one. I guess it help alittle with air flow, keeps air from just blowing out. Other then that I guess it keeps morons from cramming things into the back, lol.

ramirez

Dunno, I have built systems without the I/O shield and never had issues. I'd be more worried about building my PC from scratch and static discharging off of my hands more than I would worry about not having the I/O shield. I remember the first time I stuck my hand in my son's PC to upgrade some RAM sticks and "BAM" fried one of the sticks from static off my wedding ring......was so pissed that day for being in a hurry to swap them out and not taking the necessary precautions.