Backsp, delete, CtrlA, Lwr/Caps, numbers stopped working Win10

Robert P

Suddenly several things went wonky on my Win10 machine.

- With caps lock off it only types in caps - with caps lock on it only types in lower case - no response to shift key
- No numeric response from either the num pad or the top row on the keyboard, only get special characters. Numlock on or off makes no difference
- Ctrl+A highlighting stopped working
- Mouse scroll button stopped working - it does work in a video game environment.
- Delete key stopped working
- Can't click on dropdown suggestions on FF or Chrome
- Both Firefox and Chrome open a new window every time I click a link

Did a Win10 upgrade from Win7 about a week or so ago. It was working fine until suddenly it didn't. Tried rebooting, no change. Unplugged and replugged the mouse and keyboard, no change.

Any insights, suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a system restore back to when it was working correctly, providing it was enabled.

Go into control panel, click on recovery, then click on open system restore. Pick a day and time that it was working correctly, you may have to click on show more restore points at the bottom left.

Robert P

Do a system restore back to when it was working correctly, providing it was enabled.

Go into control panel, click on recovery, then click on open system restore. Pick a day and time that it was working correctly, you may have to click on show more restore points at the bottom left.
Thanks John. Actually, it turns out the problem was the right Shift key was stuck in the down position, which I didn't notice until after I posted the above. *Smack forehead*.