Backup machine SSD swap

Laquer Head

So, I have an M.2 Toshiba PCIE ssd I'm taking outta my laptop and was thinking to drop it into the backup rig.

My question, I currently have 2 Samsung Evo 250GB SSD running in Raid-0 and was thinking of switching that to storage and using the M.2 slot/drive as Windows drive. The thing here, given the age of the msi board in this rig, its only a gen2 slot,.. is this even worth doing - or is the speed/performance gonna be pretty much same or worse going to the m.2 over the raided drives.?

mistersprinkles

If it is a Gen 2 X4 M.2 expect about half the performance you would get out of a Gen 3 X4 M.2.
If you're cool with that should just be a matter of cloning your RAID array across to the M.2 drive with Acronis or similar utility.

Laquer Head

If it is a Gen 2 X4 M.2 expect about half the performance you would get out of a Gen 3 X4 M.2.
If you're cool with that should just be a matter of cloning your RAID array across to the M.2 drive with Acronis or similar utility.

Yup, definitely understand their will be performance lost.. do you figure I'm better off leaving the Sata raid-0 array I currently have? performance/speed wise

mistersprinkles

Do you do anything besides surf the web and game? There are certain situations where if you are dealing with huge files in certain programs, more speed would help, but for 99% of people even a single SATA SSD is fine.

Laquer Head

Most intensive stuff I use is like Photoshop CS6.. so not crazy..

But I also bought a 960 pro for the laptop recently and this Toshiba (in my sig) needs a purpose ..

Laquer Head

I think you're probably good the way it is.
Just for the hell of it I threw the Toshiba M.2 into the PCIe 2.0x2 slot and ran crystal mark... it got 847.9MB/s Read and 763.9MB/s Write .. and the Raid-o volume with Samsung 850 evo did 1033.2MB/s Read and 1029.4MB/s Write so clearly the M.2 gets rekt by the Gen2 slot.. what a difference from PCIe 3.0 x4 capability with the 960Pro in my laptop!!!!

As far as swapping the O/S no point..but it makes a nice quick storage drive!