Bad CPU???? Need a second Opinion

srv3089

:confused: I am hoping for a second opinion. I have a ECS 865PE-A7 motherboard. What happened is this the computer was working fine one night I turned it off, and the next day I noticed it was kinda dirty inside so I unhooked the monitor, printer etc... and took the side off the case and used a can of air to blow out the dirt. When I hooked everything back up and plugged it in turned it on I got nothing on the screen everything turned on the board seemed to be working. I noticed a red light on the board it self that was never on before. I figured it was the power supply so I tried the power supply in another computer that I knew worked good and the same thing the red light on that board came on as well and no screen. I bought a brand new power supply put it in and I got the same thing no post but everything turns on fine. This is not my first build or rebuild, I made sure everything was hooked up and all connections were good and tight. Some one told me they thought it was the motherboard so I bought a brand new MSI 848P NEO2-V board installed it hooked everything up and the same problem no post but everything turns on like it should. I went through 4 different video cards 2 of them bran new so I ruled that out. sorry for the long story just trying not to forget any info. I noticed the same red light came on and this time I took the heatsink off the CPU and after about a minute an a half of being on there was no heat what so ever on the chip on either board. I am pretty sure the chip is bad but I just wanted a second opinion from some one with probably more experience than I have. I forgot to mention I also tried the memory sticks one at a time and even different sticks and nothing different. The chip is a Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz/2m/800fsb. Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated Thanks.

FuryRosewood

cpu's rarely go bad...i would be more willing to bet the mobo quit on you, or ram...did you use a antistatic strap while you dusted it?

srv3089

I didn't dust it per say just used a can of air and blew out the dirt and dust. The odd thing is that the same thing happens with a brand new board and brand new power supply. So this is why I am guessing that the CPU has gone up. But thought I would ask here just to be sure. Thanks.

Gary1

If what you say is true when you try new RAM and it still wont post its your CPU. You tired other MOBO's, GPU, and a PSU. Find another CPU that is compatible with your system and try it.

cabinfever1977

i never had one go bad, but anyway p4 cpus are cheap,pick up a couple of them,e-bay has them for cheap,make sure to get the correct socket p4

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If a CPU is bad, usually it won't cause issues like you're stating. I had an i5 in a new Dell Inspiron tower that was defective and it would toss out weird BSoD's. Dell wouldn't replace the CPU. They swapped every other component three times before finally replacing the machine.

mtb211

yank out your CMOS for 10 minutes... Remount everything... Ive had the same thing happen to me...

any update?

srv3089

Sorry for the late update but come to find out it was all three the power supply, the board, and the CPU chip. Computer is all new now. I think what happened was the night before the problem happened in the middle of the night the power went out and when it came back on I think it might have surged and blew out my computer. Thanks for all your help.

linkin

VIP Member
It sounds like static may have fried something on the board which in turn cascaded and made the RAM & CPU fail as well. It can happen. Did you touch a bare metal part of the case after opening it? If not, that may have caused it.