Bad DVD drive

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How about a reliable brand cd burner for under $20?
Or an even better drive for under $20...

Since you need DVD capability, I recommend LG. The infamous Lucky Goldstar Corporation. They're cheap and they're very reliable. $22.99 for a DVD/RW buddy. It doesn't get better than that.
I would definitively say to stay away from them. High C2 error counts from "common burn speeds on common media" dont make it a very strong candidate ... i suppose it's decent enough for most people so long as they take their time with media (and if they specifically need the combo..)

Oh really? Lite-On or Sony seems to get better word.
Well if you only knew ....

You're impossible. I think I'm going to give up on you. How many times have you gone off topic to try and pretend how smart you are
As many as I let him....

@chrisalviola
Can you provide me with a InfoTools file-dump? :) If you dont have it, you can get it free here

chrisalviola

even after a good reboot, i even removed my antivirus and other active process. maybe another internal problem, i bought them in the same store where my first samsung cd/dvd drive. does any device we buy on stores go to any quality control? do they like check for defects before they ship this things?

PC eye

banned
even after a good reboot, i even removed my antivirus and other active process. maybe another internal problem, i bought them in the same store where my first samsung cd/dvd drive. does any device we buy on stores go to any quality control? do they like check for defects before they ship this things?

Quality control depends on the standards that any manufacturer uses. As one attempt was made earlier(hhmmmm...) to explain that cd/dvd drives are mass produced just like any other hardwares and can see the occasional "bad batch" get out where you exchange, repair, or dump any that are not worth the effort any longer.

When you get a few defective ones you either return for refund, change model, or even change make and model until you get what works. That can happen with "any" make and model. You just with what sees the best results.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well I did ask for a InfoTools dump lol. But you can try firmware patching it to see if it helps

SirKenin

banned
I would definitively say to stay away from them. High C2 error counts from "common burn speeds on common media" dont make it a very strong candidate ... i suppose it's decent enough for most people so long as they take their time with media (and if they specifically need the combo..)

Very interesting indeed. I have never seen those problems... Oh well. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe it's more of an Optical Meida connessieur thing. CDFreaks and CDRInfo do reviews where they go pretty deep. That and well, Litey's are definitively better ... and if it costs lesss, why not? (with the caveat of needing combo)

SirKenin

banned
I like the Liteons. I would never say otherwise. Sony, on the other hand. The last good thing they brought to the electronics world was the Beta VCR and the Trinitron tube.