bad motherboard?

icing

so, yesterday my computer was working just fine, went to work, come back during lunch to check on comp it was fine, went back, come home and computer was off. after that it just wont turn on, no fan spin no nothing when i try to turn it on. its like trying to turn it on without a PSU, but there lights, the onboard power button and the GAME BOOST HW LED as well as the cmos clear blue light on the back of the mobo. i clear the cmos more than once as well as swap it with a different on. i dont know what happen when i went back to work. i did left the computer on with a game running in the background a few website and that was it.

i test the psu with my other comp it works fine, but when i test it with the comp that won't turn on, nothing happen, both psu, nothing. so i assuming my mobo is dead? but how? i'm at a lost.

i got:
MSI Z170A gaming m7 mobo
GTX 1060
intel i7
650 watts psu

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible the power went out at your house? Other than trying it with the motherboard outside of the case to verify its not shorting out against something then its probably a dead motherboard.

icing

Is it possible the power went out at your house? Other than trying it with the motherboard outside of the case to verify its not shorting out against something then its probably a dead motherboard.
ok so i did take it out of the cause and power it on and it working, so is it the power button on the case thats the issue?
EDIT: well after a few more try it seems to say on if i manage to start it up but if i turn it off it won't go back on.

here on the MOBO image the part where i circle yellow it kind of loose, its only like a hood that cover the back panel ports. It for some reason kind of loose, it comes like that so when i got it started again and i twist that a little it dies. so i remove that completely/tighten it but nothing.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That shouldn't be loose at all. How did you power it on out of the case? If it powers off when you move that cover then that is an issue. Most likely need a new motherboard.

icing

That shouldn't be loose at all. How did you power it on out of the case? If it powers off when you move that cover then that is an issue. Most likely need a new motherboard.
i press on the onboard power button, but after the second start up it never start up again regardless of onboard or case power button.