Bad power supply? Or something else?

massahwahl

VIP Member
Last night I came home and my pc was off. I always leave it on but I didn't think much of it as I thought maybe it did updates or something. Well this morning I turn it on and it begins to boot into windows and promptly shuts off. I tried several more times but each time it gets to roughly 15 seconds and shuts itself off. Worst yet, I tried booting into safe mode and it said my registry was corrupted which is going to be pretty detremental if that is true.

So I'm thinking its the power supply even though I just replaced a previous faulty one about a year and a half ago.

linkin

VIP Member
Windows says your registry is corrupted, so it is probably shutting down to prevent further damage... Where do you get up to in windows before it craps out? if you have a disk you could probably do a repair installation.

Dystopia

possible overheating, and then the computer automatically shuts itself down. The PSU could be dead as well.

aviation_man

It could be the PSU, but that is most likely your registry that is causing the problem.
Start up like you want to load in safe-mode but instead try the 'repair your computer' option instead.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Its gotta be the psu. I tried going into mobo bios and it did the same thing. Anyone recommend a budget psu?