bad video card ?

I have recently had my PC crash like never before. A complete crash with the blue screen. My video card is about 5 years old . A couple of weeks ago I was searching a controversial statement on facebook, I dont have a account. I found it and clicked the link and the computer quickly and completely crashed. For the heck of it I tried it about 3-4 more times and with two tabs open or 15 tabs open the computer didnt crash until I hit the facebook link. So I concluded that it was coming from the facebook link.

This morning I was searching a link on driverless cars. One of the top three searches pops up a newsweek link I clicked on it and the computer quickly crashes again with the blue screen, again I did this twice.

What gives? IMO obviously its bad sites? Or could it be bad computer?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Any info or code on the blue screen to help identify what is going on?
If it only happens on certain sites, then would imagine it has something to do with the site.

I just tried it again (newsweek link) and I got a bubble at lower right screen saying video card stopped working. Then the blue screen , there was like a 75 digit number that popped up but I dont see any way to get it, since the PC locks up and closes quickly. I assume it is the sites but I wouldnt think facebook and newsweek would be bad site. For the record though I have looked at other facebook items since the first time with no issue.

beers

Staff member
a bubble at lower right screen saying video card stopped working.
Ah, sounds like the card might be on its way out then. A lot of browsers use GPU acceleration to render the page.

Do you get similar behavior when playing games for black screens or crashes? What driver version are you running?

That's DirectX related, so definitely on the track of video being the culprit.
but it doesnt happen all the time with a crash like that, blue screen. It has just happened while the two site listed were opening. I guess the only way to find out if the site is killing the card or the card is failing itself is to throw a new video card in it and check the site again?

beers

Staff member
A lot of times with failing hardware you'll see unpredictable behavior that's hard to recreate as the failures are seemingly random.

throw a new video card in it and check the site again?
That's what I'd do, at least to start out isolating components.