BASIC VIDEO&PHOTO EDITING COMPUTER

drewmo

looking for a basic video and photo editing 2nd hand pc bundle in the uk within the £400-500 price range if anyone can help, i feel clueless when it comes to pcs i feel like its been 1 step forward 2 steps back when looking into it, i have posted on multiple forums this month and seems like everyone's replys have varied so much that its confusing

beers

Staff member
Do you do anything with 4k? Video editing generally pegs CPUs so you'd want to prioritize that component over others.

Second hand is hard to make blanket suggestions on based on what's available.

drewmo

no i don't edit anything 4k, mostly 720-1080 i got told on another forum i should look at i7 4770k but honestly im clueless just looking to look at decent desktop for editing adobe premiere and photoshop within that £400-500 price range

ssal

Let's separate photo from video.

Still photo editing with Photoshop requires minimal CPU power. But a certain functions like the quick selection tool would be a lot more intuitive if you have a faster graphic adapter. Any CPU built in the past 5 years is good enough.

For video editing, that depends on the version of software you're running. The later or latest editing like Premiere Pro, or Premiere Element has proxy (ingest) editing which smooths out the real time display a lot. You can do 4K without any real issue if you're running 1024x540 cineform proxy. I would suggest an i7 with quad (2x dual) core capability. Again, a more advance graphic adapter would do better. That's the editing part. When you output, depending on the processor, it could be faster with a more powerful CPU.

I would want to have 8 to 12gb DRAM minimum.

A SSD (240+gb) is nice to load the program and boot up fast. A 1+TB for enough of the storage.

In the US, it is within the US$400 range.