Battery > Computer > Motherboard

PC eye

banned
This is why the Powerstream supply mentioned before would see a 12v dc input and regualtion at the same time over simply patching a raw 12v source into the main power. You can take a second look at this type at http://www.powerstream.com/DC-PC-12V.htm

Another one only saw a 60w total output for the pci type of mounting where you plugged in the dc source to that and not to the board directly would be a bad move to start off with. That 250w model at the link ceewi1 provided does show the higher price tag to see an adequate output depending on the total amount of hardwares you are planning.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
http://store.mp3car.com/M2_ATX_160W_Intelligent_DC_DC_PSU_p/pwr-027.htm

Looked at that one..

So i can use my 11.1V E500 battery with that? Then the 4pin becomes an issue....

Soooooo...

Here's what I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M2-ATX-DC-DC-AT...ryZ80172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PCS-4-Pin-Pow...ryZ45342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/P4-Pentium-IV-M...ryZ45342QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

^^ Will that work for an AMD board? Their the same if I'm not mistaken...

So how well will that do? I am going to TRY to install an voltage meter on the binder, so I can monitor the voltages as I work... good idea or not?

PC eye

banned
A first look shows that model supply is for a strictly low power requirement with either a AMD or Intel P4 setup. That means only the bare essentials and no extras. This is why I was pointing at the 250w to meet the basics and leave some extra available. But EBay?

One thing to note about any voltmeter is that it will only measure one voltage only and not things like voltage for the cpu. memory, and video if using something other then a vpu chip found onboard. That's why there are things like the hardware monitor in the bios and programs like Everest, PC Wizard, and a few freewares like SpeedFan and the SIW tool found at http://www.gtopala.com/siw_on_pc_world.html

oscaryu1

VIP Member
A first look shows that model supply is for a strictly low power requirement with either a AMD or Intel P4 setup. That means only the bare essentials and no extras. This is why I was pointing at the 250w to meet the basics and leave some extra available. But EBay?

One thing to note about any voltmeter is that it will only measure one voltage only and not things like voltage for the cpu. memory, and video if using something other then a vpu chip found onboard. That's why there are things like the hardware monitor in the bios and programs like Everest, PC Wizard, and a few freewares like SpeedFan and the SIW tool found at http://www.gtopala.com/siw_on_pc_world.html

Eh? How much wattage does an motherboard, CPU, and GFX take up anyways? My processor is 25W, FX5200... and an VIA type motherboard...

And yes this is an AMD setup... AMD 2600+

250W is alot, I'm probably not going to get it unless it's 100% needed... I'ma use it for the lowest settings Halo 1 , and BF2... And I WILL downclock my FX5200 and CPU if I need to...

PC eye

banned
The 2600+ would see about 65w if not 89w max there with no ocing involved. That was never a good one for that anyways. I can assume the FX5200 is a 128mb card there using a bit less that going with a newer 256mb model which would put a slightly higher demand on. But at 89w and what for an lcd? you are close to 200w there already. By the time you have everything calculated you will see why I pointed at the 250w model.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The 2600+ would see about 65w if not 89w max there with no ocing involved. That was never a good one for that anyways. I can assume the FX5200 is a 128mb card there using a bit less that going with a newer 256mb model which would put a slightly higher demand on. But at 89w and what for an lcd? you are close to 200w there already. By the time you have everything calculated you will see why I pointed at the 250w model.

*sigh*

There are 2 types of AMD Semprons...

The GEORGETOWN Sempron 2600+, and the SONORA Sempron 2600+..

GEORGETOWN 2600+ = 62W

SONORA 2600+ = 25W

And I have CPU-Z running... Sonora... Or Codename : Sonora..

Informatino from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Sempron_microprocessors#Mobile_Sempron

And the screen has another battery... lots of stress offa the battery.. 4.2k RPM hdd, USB dvd, floppy, mouse, keyboard...

PC eye

banned
Here I ran the XP2600+ model not the Semprons which were 89w while the one you mentioned earlier was over 60w for the Sempron. Add that to what the board, memory, video card, and lcd draw and you'll still upwards of 200w coming fast. Plus you still want to game while even on low settings less is drawn through the video card while still placing loads on the cpu and memory. But it really comes down to what else will you have installed or simply leaving room for any expansion seen later.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Here I ran the XP2600+ model not the Semprons which were 89w while the one you mentioned earlier was over 60w for the Sempron. Add that to what the board, memory, video card, and lcd draw and you'll still upwards of 200w coming fast. Plus you still want to game while even on low settings less is drawn through the video card while still placing loads on the cpu and memory. But it really comes down to what else will you have installed or simply leaving room for any expansion seen later.

Please re-explain. I just pointed out that my Sempron is 25W, with proof... Rather everything is still adding up to 200W. The screen has it's own 12V or whatever volts power source. it is an AGP 128Mb AGP Video card. If there is one that is the same/better that takes up less power, I would like to know. CPU, I am willing to downclock. 25W is already low. and if you see my "setup" I typed in, it's an 160W, if everything I listed works out correctly, which I why I called your here, to see if everything will work.

The RAM is an 512MB Stick, HDD is 4.2K RPM, low GB, 2.5", And everything else is USB.

Battery will have this load:

Motherboard, GFX, RAM, CPU and thats it (mouse + keyboard, and the occassional DVD or floppy drive, both driven off of the USB power source. Thanks all I want).

Screen:

Speakers, and Screen. I am pretty sure I can do this. After you have made sure I have all the hardware right, we'll proceed to the screen.

And AMD MOBILE SEMPRON not Athlon please.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Unfortunately I don't have power consumption figures for a card as old as an FX5200, but an AGP slot is only capable of providing 41.8W of power, and the FX5200, being a lowend card, was nowhere near pushing this. I would guess around half this much or less.

You should be fine with a 120W or 160W PSU.

Have you considered how you'll connect the battery and charge it? Also keep in mind that the battery will not last as long with this system as it would with a laptop (and if it's an older battery that really won't be long).

Other than that your plan looks good to me. Would be interested to hear how it turns out.

PC eye

banned
I think ceewi1 would understand why a heavier supply would see an improvement in regulation even while the wattsge actually needed would be less. If you total just the 25w with the cpu, 40w or slightly less for an older AGP card, and let's say 35w for an lcd that alone sees just about 100w there.

Now add memory, drives, and most likely onboard sound which will pull when gaming.. You're probably looking at 135-150w for a total. I would give the 160w a look to cover the basics with the 250w considered for any later expansion.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The the charging may be an problem :D Or I could one of my E500's as an charger. Otherwise, could yall suggest an good way to recharge it? Like putting an recharge in there?

PC eye

banned
That will depend on the type of battery for the 12v source of power there. For auto you simply plug into the lighter socket and turn the key to accessories. Running a vehicle later sees that type of recharge by the alternator. For out of car use a car battery charger would be the method.

The lithium batteries used in laptop obviously come with the charger supplied with the laptop itself. Those see recharging done while they are in the portable unit. But those are standard methods for standard 12v battery sources there. For a custom battery pack? Then you are looking at a custom method for trickle charging according to the type of battery or batteries used.

Your best bet is to install the battery holder for the lithium type meant for use in laptops/notebooks and simply plug in a laptop ac-dc charging adapter while being limited to the 4hrs. of time available. The important thing to remember is the amps seen for output. A 12v source that generally sees a low draw is would simply wink on you when placing a larger load then it's rated for.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
That will depend on the type of battery for the 12v source of power there. For auto you simply plug into the lighter socket and turn the key to accessories. Running a vehicle later sees that type of recharge by the alternator. For out of car use a car battery charger would be the method.

The lithium batteries used in laptop obviously come with the charger supplied with the laptop itself. Those see recharging done while they are in the portable unit. But those are standard methods for standard 12v battery sources there. For a custom battery pack? Then you are looking at a custom method for trickle charging according to the type of battery or batteries used.

Your best bet is to install the battery holder for the lithium type meant for use in laptops/notebooks and simply plug in a laptop ac-dc charging adapter while being limited to the 4hrs. of time available. The important thing to remember is the amps seen for output. A 12v source that generally sees a low draw is would simply wink on you when placing a larger load then it's rated for.

Well could you lead me to an good battery? Will more cells help? And if the battery is 11.1V will it hurt?

PC eye

banned
Car batteries are generally 13.7 or 13.8v seeing a surplus in order to handle the heaveir loads there. When you place a good load on the voltage will srop fast if the amps aren't adequate as well as seeing good regulation. That will depend on the dc-dc supply used more then anything there however.

As for the battery type that depends on how portable this is supposed to be and how long you will want it running. Are you planning to walk around with it or leave it in a stationary setup where you have a long list of options to look over?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Car batteries are generally 13.7 or 13.8v seeing a surplus in order to handle the heaveir loads there. When you place a good load on the voltage will srop fast if the amps aren't adequate as well as seeing good regulation. That will depend on the dc-dc supply used more then anything there however.

As for the battery type that depends on how portable this is supposed to be and how long you will want it running. Are you planning to walk around with it or leave it in a stationary setup where you have a long list of options to look over?

30mins is fine for me. Any more is good... Need it compact though, not an car battery. Maybe DSL or half an router size..... Just not subwoofer size.

PC eye

banned
That's an X-Box with a builtin tv tuner not a pc monitor there. The input from an X-Box seen internally not externally being a self contained unit. That's simply a portable X-Box with a builtin dvd drive in order to run the game disks and doesn't seen external input. You would need either a regular lcd screen from a laptop or external lcd monitor for what you are trying there.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
That's an X-Box with a builtin tv tuner not a pc monitor there. The input from an X-Box seen internally not externally being a self contained unit. That's simply a portable X-Box with a builtin dvd drive in order to run the game disks and doesn't seen external input. You would need either a regular lcd screen from a laptop or external lcd monitor for what you are trying there.

Did you even read it??

It's an Xbox Screen, in other words an mini TV... And there is no TV tuner! The item for sale is not even an Xbox! There is no DVD drive either! ???!?

PC eye

banned
It won't matter if it does or doesn't since that's an eintirely different signal that goes into that type of display. They also have entire portable units for X-Box with the drive included. Your best options are a replacement screen for a laptop or external monitor since those are designed for vga input and pc type application. The monitor there is for X-Box or tv receiver type input for display which is an entirely different type of signal.